German units from the Diktat

German Freikorps, Reichsheer and Reichsmarine 1919-1934.
leopard 2
Supporter

German units from the Diktat

Post by leopard 2 »

Hi

I'm searching informations about the troops of the Reichswehr from 1921 to 1934...
've seen that the Diktat allowed the cavalery and infanery divisions some units... But I can't find if those units really existed... I mean... did the German army exactly structure its divisions as the Diktat autorised it?
Specially, I can't find any informations (number of units, etc...) about the Artillerie-Bataillon of the Cavalery Divisions... and also, in the Infantery Divisions, informations about those units refered in the Diktat: a Mine-thrower company and a sqadron (recon I suppose).
Did they really exist?
If yes, where can I find informations about them?
Thank you

Vincent
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Leopard 2,

I may be muddling this with the various post-Versailles agreements made regarding the armies of Austria, Hungary and Bulgaria, but my impression was that there was some organisational flexibility allowed to the Reichswehr within the Versailles Agreement. Although there were strict rules about the total number of men or the types and calibre of weapons allowed, I think they could be organised in a variety of ways.

Cheers,

Sid.
leopard 2
Supporter

Well... it seems not after all

Post by leopard 2 »

The Treaty of Versailles (part V, section I, tables I-III) talks about the composition of the divisions: headquarters, infantery headquarters, artillery haedquarters, 3 reiments of infantery (composition detailed even to batalions, even some comapnies), a TRENCH MORTAR COMPANY, a divisional squaron...

II know thses structures were maximums the Reichswehr was autorized to create. So, I think, if Germany decided not to create some or many of those units, Allied forces wouldn't be against such a decision.

I've never seen any informations about any trench mortar company (part of the regiment of infantery or not?) such as I've never seen any information about existing horse artillery group in the cavalery divisions...
So... did these units exist or not?
Vincent
Glenn

Trench Mortars

Post by Glenn »

Vincent,

the 13th company of each infantry regiment was the trench mortar company.

There were three horse artillery battalions, one for each of the cavalry divisions:

IV./Artillerie-Regiment 3
V./Artillerie-Regiment 3
IV./Artillerie-Regiment 6

Regards
Glenn
Stauffenberg
Supporter

Post by Stauffenberg »

As regards the 7 Recon Squadrons for the 7 Infantry Division:

6. Esk./2. RR
6. Esk./6. RR
6. Esk./7. RR