Help with Italian translation...POW officer

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

siege1863
Supporter

Help with Italian translation...POW officer

Post by siege1863 »

I just purchased a letter written by an Italian lieutenant colonel held in the POW camp at Como, Mississippi. This prisoner was supposedly a renowned symphony conductor. I have seen a few pieces of music on which he is named. Inspection reports from the camp indicate he and another helped establish the POW orchestras, bands, etc. I am hoping the letter is brief enough that someone can provide a translation. Any help is greatly appreciated.

---Mike
ComoPOWLetterX.jpg
ComoPOWLetterX.jpg (121.41 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
gricio

Re: Help with Italian translation...POW officer

Post by gricio »

Hi Mike, I am new in this forum, I am Italian, so here is the translation..(sorry for my english)

"01 Jan 1944
My dear Zaira,
new year begins with the hope one and only of the peace, therefore of the end of this terrible war, that devastated our beautiful country, and I am afraid with irreparable consequences. But the human soul seeks refuge in the most sacred affections, in the family, in God, and hopes.So I do in this day, I am with you, my dear far-away partner of sorrow, I am with Walteruccio, who is here in my heart with a painful thorn for the uncertainty of his fate, and I am with God who I always pray that he condescends to answer my poor prayers, He lets me come home, to you two, to your love, to your smile I don't see for two years, to our estinguished fireplace, to share the bread with you, to work to rebuild, but close and not divided anymore till the death. These are my prayers, and my hopes, I don't ask anymore else. I enclose a photo of me from which you'll see me in good shape, but the thought, my heart, my soul is with you, with Walter, with mom. When I' ll have the joy of a letter ? And you get my news that I write each week ? Lots of kisses, lots of wishes of good health to everybody. A big hug to you and Walter, your Giovannino."

As soon as I can I want to make some internet research on italian websites about this man, I'll let you know if he was (or became after the war) a famous musician...

Regards from Italy

Ettore
siege1863
Supporter

Post by siege1863 »

Ettore---

I want to thank you for providing a translation to my Italian POW letter. I would have responded sooner, but there was a problem with the reactivation of my forum account after I changed my email address. I was blocked from logging in until just now.

Something that I found interesting about the letter--It appears the son, Walter Cianfrocca, was a noted jazz musician in Italy. I found him mentioned a few times making an Internet search. Anything additional you may find on Giovanni is appreciated.

Regards.

---Mike Allard
gricio

Post by gricio »

Hallo Mike,
don't worry about the delay, no problem..
A promise is a promise, so I did a websearch about Giovanni, but I found only a short mention: he was the autor (lyrics) of a fascist song "Le avanguardie d'Italia" (The vangurds of Italy), not one of the most famous songs of that time, that could be found on a "compilation" edited in 1933 for the italians abroad; nothing else for the moment, I am sorry.
A few words too about his son, Walter: he was a lawyer as a profession, amateur piano jazz player (but very talented, as is told) and, funny thing, played also together with Bruno Mussolini, one of the Duce sons, that has been a rather famous jazz musician...

Regards,

Ettore