Another Motorcycle Photo

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

postofficeworker
Supporter

Another Motorcycle Photo

Post by postofficeworker »

Does this group belong to a signals unit? (See patch on arm) Can anyone also tell me about the flag on the front of the motorcycle? Cheers! :up:
Attachments
motorcycle.JPG
motorcycle.JPG (142.95 KiB) Viewed 6235 times
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: Another Motorcycle Photo

Post by phylo_roadking »

LOL somewhere under there there's a Zundapp flat twin!!!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Mansal D

Post by Mansal D »

Yes, that's a signal patch. If you have a date on that photo you can use the license plate to figure out what unit that could have been (I forget which website that is - maybe someone on the forum can help). If you find that out, you may find that the flag is just a unit-decoration? Don't know for sure - good luck.
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Post by Richard Schoutissen »

k98_man wrote:Yes, that's a signal patch. If you have a date on that photo you can use the license plate to figure out what unit that could have been (I forget which website that is - maybe someone on the forum can help). If you find that out, you may find that the flag is just a unit-decoration? Don't know for sure - good luck.
License plate = HEER Wehrkreis IV Dresden
postofficeworker
Supporter

Thanks everyone! :) :up:
Mansal D

Post by Mansal D »

postofficeworker,

This mildly pertains to this thread: I have a photo album of a postman in the SS during the war with numerous photos of motorcycles etc. Maybe I can get some posted for you/send an e-mail with some
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Post by Richard Schoutissen »

phylo_roadking wrote:LOL somewhere under there there's a Zundapp flat twin!!!
No way, this is a single-cylinder BMW R4 !

@postofficeworker; you will like the next picture (have a look at the license plate)

I'm almost sure this picture was taken at the same location, watch the tree line in the background, the electricity poles, sand road and flowers. Could be the same soldier (the one that holds the handlebar in your picture also, he has no signal patch and this time without the 'big smile' but with a helmet.

postofficeworker
Supporter

Thats a very interesting photo comparison. No doubt about it being the same motorcycle. Obviously comes from some sort of press source. Still, its a great photo :D Thanks for posting it. Appreciated Richard :up:
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Richard, quite right! I spotted that the other day - the R4 bit - but never had a chance to correct myself :up: I wonder what happened to the rest of the roll of film?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
GD,7

Post by GD,7 »

If his eqipment is anything to go by, I'm willing to bet hes a battalion/company level Kradmelder(motorcycle dispatch). Just finished "Hot motor,cold feet" a while back,unfortunatly I can't remember the authors name :oops: ,still an outstanding & funny read on the subject of Kradmelders.