NARA archival documents and microfilm.

Feldgrau's WWII operational map project, map research, archives, tools and techniques, and research requests.

Moderator: Abicht

MadDog
Associate

NARA archival documents and microfilm.

Post by MadDog »

After browsing through the indexes at stumpanzer.com, I noticed that the vast majority of corps and army records stop of June 30. Anyone know why ? They didnt microfilm most of the stuff after June 30 ? These records were destroyed ?

thanks,

Mad "enquiring minds" Dog
william russ
Supporter

Re: NARA archival documents and microfilm.

Post by william russ »

Hi Maddog,
Mostly the latter. Because of the catastrophes suffered by the Germans on the western front in August and the eastern front in June, many of the records were lost in the retreats. The fluid situations that followed did not help either. What is worse is that the reporting system and the sending of records back began to break down after this time period. I ran into the same problem with the "Stalingrad" divisions. Many of their records did not make it back because of the encirclement. I'm working on a book about the Kharkov battles in May 1942 and some of the divisional records simply stop at March or April of 1942. Very frustrating :( .

Best regards, Bill
Inquiring minds want to know.
MadDog
Associate

Re: NARA archival documents and microfilm.

Post by MadDog »

Well thats a bummer. I had some vague hopes that maybe the German archives were more complete.

thanks,

Mad Dog