Battle(s) for Saporoschje (Zaporozh(y)e)

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Gefreiter
Supporter

Battle(s) for Saporoschje (Zaporozh(y)e)

Post by Gefreiter »

Family rumors are that my grandfather died by Saporoschje (Ukraine) on January 11, 1944. All I know is that he was supposedly a Machinegunner. Looking at WWII maps it seems that by December 23, 1943 Saporoschje was allready in Soviet hands. Therefore, I'm questioning this family rumor. I've allready requested Info from the "Dienststelle", but as you know that may take up to 9 months. Meanwhile, I'd like to know when the battles for Saporoschje (Zaporozh(y)e) took place, and when it was officially in Russian hands. I've read that around the time of my grandfather's death there was some fighting in Nikopol and NORTHWEST of Saporoschje. Any insights or sources of information anyone?
Thank you,
[/img]
Last edited by Gefreiter on Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gefreiter
Bruno
Supporter

Saporoschje

Post by Bruno »

Battle at or for Saporoschje continued for some time. The 123ID arrived there Oktober 1943 persued by Russian armour and remained there till February 1944.
Gefreiter
Supporter

Post by Gefreiter »

Thank you,
Any idea as to when the Soviets finally occupied Saporoschje?
Gefreiter
Christian
Patron

Post by Christian »

It appears that the 123. Infanterie Division pulled back from their positions at Saporoshje in the very early part of January 1944.

Source: Page 125, Rückzugskämpfe in der Ukraine 1943/44, Rolf Hinze.
Gefreiter
Supporter

Post by Gefreiter »

Thank you, Christian.
Do you know what "Early part of January" means? I don't have the book you referenced, but I greatly appreciate the fact that you did give me a reference. I might try to obtain a copy.
So, the family rumors may be true. Which other divisions were in Saporoschje at that time?
Was the 123. ID the last one to leave?
Does anyone know what side of the Dnieper this division was on on Jan 11. I assume that they were back and forth, but maybe someone knows for sure.
The story goes that he was killed on the 11th, then, a few days later, the Germans countered and regained the lost ground, where they found his body and burried him.
Thanks,
Gefreiter
Christian
Patron

Post by Christian »

Let me take a closer look at the book tomorrow. Note that I would still suggest that you wait until you have the feedback from WASt before starting any serious research. This way you can make sure to move in the right direction from the start.

Christian
Christian
Patron

Post by Christian »

I checked again the reference in the Hinze book and unfortunately there are no further details in respect to specific dates.

Christian
Gefreiter
Supporter

Post by Gefreiter »

Thank you again,
Gefreiter