VOLKSTURM pictures of interest

German auxiliary organizations 1919-1945.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

VOLKSTURM pictures of interest

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello!

I found this polish website (unfortunately I don't understand a word :( ) but it contains several good and interesting pictures on the Volksturm. For example older men in civilian clothes armed with nothing but Panzerschrecks...

http://wilk.wpk.p.lodz.pl/~whatfor/volksst.htm

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
TheFerret
Supporter

Post by TheFerret »

Those were some old looking guys there. I guess the reich was pretty desperate in the closing days.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

A far cry from the "glory days," eh?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Guys,

Those are particularly interesting photos because they appear to be of ethnic Germans from the Posen/Poznan region, which was in Poland over 1919-1939 and since 1945.

Cheers,

Sid.
Rosselsprung
Enthusiast

Volksturm pictures

Post by Rosselsprung »

Despite it was obviously a measure of desperation, if I was an allied tanker, I would be hesistant at entering a village defended by a few old men with Panzerschreks. As a military unit in prolonged combat, the Volksturm were clearly pathetic, but as one shot units that would kill a few allied soldiers, they could pull that off.

A few old men with Panzerschreks is still a rather dangerous adversary. 8)
max painless
Under Review

Post by max painless »

Also, many WWI vets, and people who in a militaristic society, probably always felt inadequate. Here's there chance, with additional atrocity based influences to fanatically motivate themselves. If I am not mistaken they caused alot Russian casualties in Berlin. I mean were talking about old men, invalids, etc. In the photo where they're lining up, I at first thought it was at a concentration camp, with inmates lining up. Very emaciated.
~All you touch, and all you see, is all your life will ever be~
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

Most of the time the VS did not engaged in any fighting on the Eastern Front. The few times they did, those units were wiped out. Guderian (or Manstein) asked if the VS could be kept away from any of the fightings. The older man could not stop the Russians after a few hours of combartraining. A lot of men of the Volksstuirm ended up as guards of prisoners (indeed concentration kamps) or were abandond by the other troops of the Wehrmacht. Some were luckier and were added to Wehrmacht divisions and moved westwards. The socalled Volkssturm divisionen ended up in chaos all over.

Alex D.
Benoit Douville
Contributor

Post by Benoit Douville »

I wonder if there were some guys in the Volksturm who distinguished themselves by putting Soviet tanks out of combat with their Panzerfaust. Is there a list of the ones who received medals or they were really that bad?

Regards
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Hello Benoit!

The most famous Volksturm-Battalionführer was Ernst Tiburzy who fought in Königsberg and recieved the Knight's Cross. For his story and picture go to the thread "Favorite Knight's Cross action page 3:

http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6404

There were some other Knight's Cross holders in the Volksturm, I will get back with some info on them...

Regards,

Krollspell
Benoit Douville
Contributor

Post by Benoit Douville »

Krollspell,

I have never heard of Ernst Tiburzy before. The info is really appreciated and of course if you have more info concerning the Knight Cross holder in the Volksturm don't hesitated to post it.

Regards
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

There's a great looking portait of him in German Auxiliary forces, from the man at arms serie. It's the man!
Always in need for info about: Dutchmen in the NSKK, HJ and TeNo.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Hello again Benoit!

Other RKT in the Volksturm were:

Wilhelm Sitt, RK 07.02.1945. "Führer eines Btls. d. Kölner Volksturmes u. Abschnittsleiter (ehrenamtl.) im Gau-Org. Amt der NSDAP-Gauleitnung Köln-Aachen." As a note, Sitt recieved his RK for having defused hundreds of unexploded bombs. Found dead in Köln 07.03.1945.

Otto Herzog, RK 15.04.1945. SA-Obergruppenführer, Fhr. d. Volksturm-Einheiten i. d. Festung Breslau u. Fhr. einer Kampfgruppe. Herzog committed suicide in Breslau 06.05.1945.

Karl Packebusch, RK 26.04.1945. Führer eines Volksturm-Btl. in Berlin-Wedding. No info when, or if he died.

Source for information/quotes: Veit Scherzer "Ritterkreuzträger 1939-1945" (2005). There is a great portrait photo of Wilhelm Sitt in the Osprey Men-at-Arms book "Wehrmacht Auxiliary Forces" that Alex recommended.

Regards,

Krollspell
Last edited by Doktor Krollspell on Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Another thing on Ernst Tiburzy. I remember seeing a video many years ago with the last official "Deutsche Wochenschau" newsreels from the winter and spring of 1945. When the fighting for Königsberg was featured, there was a interview/presentation kind of scene with Volksturm-Bataillonsführer Ernst Tiburzy with his newly awarded Knight's Cross and wearing a black eyepatch (it looked rather dramatic).

Hmm, I think I have to look for new copies... or in the best of worlds, DVD's!

Regards,

Krollspell
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

I wonder if there were some guys in the Volksturm who distinguished themselves by putting Soviet tanks out of combat with their Panzerfaust. Is there a list of the ones who received medals or they were really that bad?

They would have received the tankbadge, but there isn't a list (or lists) of people who received that badge.
Always in need for info about: Dutchmen in the NSKK, HJ and TeNo.
xausa
Supporter

Post by xausa »

While I do recognize the bravery of some of the volkssturm, I do think that the whole concept of forcing old men & school boys to act as cannon fodder was among the worst criminal acts that the nazi regime committed during it's tenure.