Was Ulmanis a jew?

German Freikorps, Reichsheer and Reichsmarine 1919-1934.
lucas

Was Ulmanis a jew?

Post by lucas »

I have heard from a serious source that the president of Latvia,Ulmanis,the man who fought both the freikorps and the Bolcheviks ,was from jewish origin.
Is that possible?
If it's the case,he was certainly one of the most eminent jew in the white movement,so further information about him may be interresting.
Thanks,
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

Why wouldn't it be possible? I believe Latvia was declared "Judenrein" but I seriously doubt that can be taken literally. And what is "the white movement?" As opposed to Red? I've never heard of that.
Lacplesis
Supporter

Why

Post by Lacplesis »

If this was an issue can someone prove it
History is what we repeat if we don't study it.
AAA
Contributor

Re: Was Ulmanis a jew?

Post by AAA »

lucas wrote:I have heard from a serious source that the president of Latvia,Ulmanis,the man who fought both the freikorps and the Bolcheviks ,was from jewish origin.
Is that possible?
If it's the case,he was certainly one of the most eminent jew in the white movement,so further information about him may be interresting.
Thanks,
:shock:
1. No.
2. Maybe you are not confusing Ulmanis with Zigfrids Meieirovics?
3. What is this "serious source"?
4. In any case, Latvian nationalist Ulmanis is hardly to be considered a czarist (=white movement).
Lacplesis
Supporter

The answere is no

Post by Lacplesis »

I was going to ignore this thread but afterthought made me change my mind for there are a lot of people out there who beleive all things in print.
NO HE WAS NOT A JEW. I have posted in the Latvian language his biography on my website http://www.lacplesis.com taken from the 1937 issue of "AIZSARGS" magazine which was issued by the Latvian Army. I didn't interpret it in English for there are not enough people wanting it to make it worth my time.
History is what we repeat if we don't study it.
Arne
Contributor

Post by Arne »

I think the typical nazi-propaganda came up with this. Ulamis was one of the most hated eastern europeans in Nazi-Germany. To many of their heroes feld fraued by him... You know about the broken promise for the land of the baltic german nobles? (I'm aware why he did so, but never the less...)
lucas

Post by lucas »

Hi,
his only promise was to accord to the german volunteers the latvian citizenship. They interpreted it as they wanted...
Arne
Contributor

Post by Arne »

Yes, that is right. But the other aspect was that the Baltic-German nobles had promised to divide up part of their estate to give all volunteers a small farm.

What realy pissed the volunteers was that the paper they recieved, entitleing them for some ackers of land, was not worth the paper it was printed on.

But most of them may have missed the fact that the intelligence section of their army-staff (Major Bischoff) tryed to topple the Ulmanis government by setting up a pupet government at Libau.
I think personal security for prominent targets was not realy developed that days. Otherwise this guy Nedra would have lasted maybe a few days longer.

Most probably they also did not know that Ludendorf intendet to keep at least Kurland as a German brideghead in the east. To gain that without complicating the peace talks he came up with the idea to raise the etnic german part of the Kurland population so much that a vote like in other contested areas would have been to his favour. (Based on my impression from the bio's of von der Golz, Bischoff and others...)
lucas

Post by lucas »

I'm looking for further information about the german-latvian war and in general,about the german community in Estonia and Latvia. If you have any book to suggest,I will be grateful
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Lacplesis

I didn't interpret it in English for there are not enough people wanting it to make it worth my time

I beg to differ on this matter since I recommend your site quite often
but I am sure if it were in English it would be helpful to those wishing
to learn.
Annelie

Post by Arne »

lucas wrote:I'm looking for further information about the german-latvian war and in general,about the german community in Estonia and Latvia. If you have any book to suggest,I will be grateful
There are hundrets of books about this topics in german language. ..

If you can read german (and if yes, how got is your reading of the old Fraktur print-type?) and you give me some clues what you are looking for (or where you want to start), I will gladly provide some reading suggestions.
lucas

Post by lucas »

And what if I don't speak german?
Thanks anyway,
Arne
Contributor

Post by Arne »

Well that is not so good... I fear there is again not enough interest in this topic to make a translation worth the effort.
AAA
Contributor

Post by AAA »

If this subject is interesting, may I suggest on AHF, in theFreikorps and Reichswehr section, there is in english a very valuable (detailed, long and interesting) thread on the German-Latvian-Estonian-Polish-Russian fighting in 1919 http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=12115 .