Fallsch. MG Btl, Fallsch Reg 3., Kampfgruppe Schmalz

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
Peter

Fallsch. MG Btl, Fallsch Reg 3., Kampfgruppe Schmalz

Post by Peter »

I am doing reseach for the battle fought against British Airborne forces in the area just south of Catania, Sicily on 13, 14 and 15 July 1943,
I am looking for personal accounts of German and Italian troops who were in that area.
Part from books, magazines, newspapers: anything! will be most welcome.

The German troops were:-

Fallschirmjäger MG Battalion
Fallschirm Pionier Battalion
Fallschirmjäger Regiment 3.
Kampfgruppe Schmalz
fjpionier

Sicily Battle around Primosole Bridge etc...

Post by fjpionier »

Carol De Este's book the Battle of Sicily has a good chapter or two on that fighting there. His book is to the Battle of Sicily what Ambrose's D-Day book is to the Normany Invasion. Try to get your hands on a copy.
- E
John W. Howard

Second the Nomination

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Peter:
I agree with fjpionier that Carlo D'Este's book would be a very good choice, written by a very good historian. Comparing D'Este's book to Ambrose's is a bit of a stretch: D'Este covers the British operations on Sicily in great detail; Ambrose did not do the same in his D-Day book. I would also say that D'Este is clearly a better historian than Ambrose, although I liked parts of Ambrose's D-Day book. Hope this helps. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
fjpionier

De Este Book

Post by fjpionier »

A clarification of my ealier post. I only meant that De Este's book breaks down the whole operation similarly to how Ambrose broke down D-Day. I agree that Ambrose overlooked the English/Commonwealth contribution and I also agree his "historian" credentials are questionable when compared to other authors.
- E
Ramcke

Post by Ramcke »

Hello Peter!

This is a subject/matter that I know an awful lot about, and you are more than welcome to ask specific questions from time to time. There are numerous good books on the German paratroopers, who fought in Sicily. Hence I need to know, more precisely what kind of information you are looking for.

A good introduction would be: "Battle of Sicily", written by Samuel W. Mitcham, Friedrich von. Stauffenberg. You can buy it via 'Barnes&Nobles' web-shop for around 10 USD. Stauffenberg - by the way - was a nephew (as far as I remember) of THE Stauffenberg, who tried to kill Hitler by placing a bomb under his desk.

There was one Knight's Cross winner in Sicily from the Fallschirmjägers. His name was Hauptmann Heinz Paul Adolff, who was given the award posthumously for his defense of the Primasole Bridge (where they were fighting against 'Arnheim' Frost & co).

Other interesting Fallschirmjägers who took part of that battle, was Generalleutnant Richard Heidrich and Oberstleutnant Ludwig Heilmann who both ended the war with the Knight's Cross with Oaks & Swords.

Besides the Fallschirmjägers there were other fascinating characters - e.g. two one armed German generals ! - who took part in that battle. Not to mention the eternal rivals Patton and Montgommery!!

Cheers
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Ramcke -

What does this mean? "A good introduction would be: "Battle of Sicily", written by Samuel W. Mitcham, Friedrich von. Stauffenberg."

Does this mean that former U.S. Army Captain and Vietnam veteran Samuel W. Mitcham is now entitling himself "Samuel W. Mitcham, Friedrich von Stauffenberg"? Or that his REAL name is Friedrich von Stauffenberg? If it is the former, then he has styled it incorrectly as it should read "Samuel W. Mitcham, Freiherr von Stauffenberg."

What do you think?
Ramcke

Post by Ramcke »

Hello!

No, there are two authors: Mitcham AND Stauffenberg. That is why the book is so interesting, because there is a balanced view from both sides of the battle.

Cheers
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Or-Ida, Ramcke!

Thanks for clearing that up....

--Lorenz
Peter

Post by Peter »

Does the book Battle of Sicily", written by Samuel W. Mitcham, Friedrich von. Stauffenberg." goes in detail about the action at primasole bridge?
And are there any good reference works dealing with the Italian forces in that sector?
fjpionier

Chivalry?

Post by fjpionier »

Related to this topic I seemed to remember either reading or being told the the German Fallschirmjager Commander and British Airborne commander had dinner one evening during the fighting around Primosole Bridge....any truth to that, anyone heard anything similar?
- E
Peter

Post by Peter »

Sorry but that is complete nonsends... The Division Commander landed by sea with the landforces... The 1 Para Brigade Commander (Lathbury)was wounded. I spoke more times with Alistair Pearson. Last time in 1994. Pearson commanded 1 Parachute Battalion and was in charge around the bridge it selve. I can assure you that he never had a meeting like that nor the other British commanders...
Ramcke

Post by Ramcke »

Hello Peter,

I is quite detailed about the fighting around Primasole Bridge, in fact I have not read anything yet that covers both sides of the battle as detailed.

Sicily was in many ways a failure for the British and American paratroopers for a variety of reasons. What this book does is in detail to describe who was waiting for the British at Primasole, and how the figting progressed day-by-day. In the end, Frost had to withdraw, which was partly because he was up against what Field Marschall Alexander later called ' the best soldiers in the world' - the 1st Fallshirmjäger Division.

Besides that, the book is a good read, and I highly reccomend it.

If you need any further details on the Fallschirmjägers, please do not hesitate to write.

Cheers
Barbarigo
Supporter

about the Italians

Post by Barbarigo »

The Primosole Bridge was in the sector of the 372nd Coastal Battalion.
It was defended by 4 small bunkers (2 for each side): each one armed by 47mm AT gun.
The nearest infantry units were 2 MG companies (553rd - 554th) and other 2 companies belonged to the 372nd Coast. Btn. [Note: they didn't defend directly the bridge, but they had anti-landing duty, they faced the sea]
However, only the 553rd MG Company (and *maybe* the 6th Coy/372nd Coast Btn) fought to recapture the bridge.
Sorry for my bad english
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Your English is excellent - a thousand times better than anyone in this threat can write Italian. No need to apologize.