What Was In Your Wallet?

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

stab131
Contributor

What Was In Your Wallet?

Post by stab131 »

As our re-enacting unit strives to improve our impressions and since I saw a post in another section, I decided to ask this question:

What did you carry in your wallet?

Pictures, soldbuch, train tickets etc., etc.

Thanks,

Jeff
HaEn
WWII Vet

wallet

Post by HaEn »

Hard to say. There was a "portefeuille", in which you would carry photos. letters, drivers license. This was carried in a breastpocket or inside pocket of the tunic. Then there was de "Portemonaie" in which you had your money. That one was in de backpocket of the pants. Soldbuch was carried in the breastpocket of the tunic; forgot which side though.
HN
zenuke

Post by zenuke »

I was about to post the samething, you saw my other post. I did have one other thing to ask, are those repo wallets you see at various places correct? ALso you list two things that are in german and I don't know what they mean? If you carried two different thing, were they given two you? also do you happen to know where any pictures might be of these items as I would like to see what they looked like. Thanks
the.warlord1944
Supporter

Post by the.warlord1944 »

the soldbuch was carried in the left breast pocket.
sometimes in a leather wallet including the soldbuch and drivers license.
when you had a lot of money/photo/train tickets those items were in a wallet (privately purchased item) in your backpocket of your trousers.
not everybody had a wallet for the soldbuch only the germans who had more money did that.
HaEn
WWII Vet

wallet

Post by HaEn »

Portefeuille and Portemonaie, actually were adopted french names.
The first "porte=carry / feuille=paper" ; the second "porte=carry / monaie=money". Come to think of it, I don't know german names for it.
Nor Dutch, as far as that goes. O.K. Warlord ! to the rescue !.
HN.
the.warlord1944
Supporter

hahaha no i am a reenactor.
my family was ss-officer.
served on the west and easternfront.
but that doens`t make any difference
the.warlord1944
Supporter

he was before the war an armymajor but kicked out off the service because he was drunk one time.
then in 1940 after the german invasion he became ss officer 9it was offered to him and he accepted).
after the war went to labour camp for 4 years and after that 2 years of war in korea to retain his citizinship.
never got any pension because of his backround......... :evil: :evil:
that`s not good.
respect to the veterans even the bad examples.
DeBaer
Contributor

Post by DeBaer »

"Portemonnaie" is "Geldbörse" or "Geldbeutel", but you can also say "Portemonnaie", we use this term very often, even rather than "Geldbörse".
"Portefeuille", well i dont know the german term, guess we'd say "Portefeuille", too.But "Ausweishülle" would kome close.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Sven
-
terras licet et undas obstruat at caelum certe patet
observer

Post by observer »

[quote="DeBaer"]"Portemonnaie" is "Geldbörse" or "Geldbeutel", but you can also say "Portemonnaie", we use this term very often, even rather than "Geldbörse".
"Portefeuille", well i dont know the german term..
....try Brieftasche
stab131
Contributor

Post by stab131 »

Thanks for all the responses.
zenuke

Post by zenuke »

Yes thank you. If anyone can think of anything else, please post
HaEn
WWII Vet

Post by HaEn »

observer wrote:
DeBaer wrote:"Portemonnaie" is "Geldbörse" or "Geldbeutel", but you can also say "Portemonnaie", we use this term very often, even rather than "Geldbörse".
"Portefeuille", well i dont know the german term..
....try Brieftasche
Brieftasche would be a 'briefcase" the thing you carry by the handle. This one (portefeuille) is carried in your jacket or tunic. HN.
HohenstaufenGrenadier

Wallet

Post by HohenstaufenGrenadier »

I have the wallet, but nothing in it yet!
-J Hughes
WWII Reenactor
Fallschirmjager Regiment 6
Traditionskompanie
Boats

whats in your wallet

Post by Boats »

I also am a reenactor with the 9th SS ,panzergruppewest in the USA, and I have the wallet and keep my soldbuch in it along with original RM and an original death card with whom I portray as my nephew
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

zenuke wrote:I did have one other thing to ask, are those repo wallets you see at various places correct? Thanks
If you mean those bi-fold ones with a latched pocket, and another pocket for the 'Papers' on one side, --and on the other side have several pockets with two small ones on top for tickets or postage stamps or whatever. They have a small makers stamp on that side as well.
Those seem to be the most popular ones being sold now days.

If you do, I will say that they are pretty good. I have an original one just like it that is stamped in silver with a Luftwaffe eagle and Weihnacht 1940 and a Fp Nr. Apparently it was some kind of Christmas gift in a squadron somewhere (haven't checked the FP Nr. yet.)
However; while they look alike, the reproductions for some reason are one half cm narrower so you cannot put a Soldbuch in the compartment and still close the wallet like you can with the original.
Now why go through that much trouble making a good reproduction, and screw it up with a tiny detail like that?