Folgore Division

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

Freiritter
Associate

Folgore Division

Post by Freiritter »

I have heard of Italian paras in the Folgore Division. Did these troops ever partake in an airborne assault? What major actions did these men take part in?
J.P. Slovjanski
Supporter

Post by J.P. Slovjanski »

They were attatched to Fallshirmjaeger units in Anzio I believe, but I do not believe they were deployed by air in that campaign.
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

not to quote always myself but to not rewrite always same things...give a look at

http://www.geocities.com/kumbayaaa/itroyparas.html

and

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=31662

bye
Lupo
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

J.P. Slovjanski wrote:They were attatched to Fallshirmjaeger units in Anzio I believe, but I do not believe they were deployed by air in that campaign.
Freiritter was probably referring to Folgore division destroyed at El Alamein. RSI paras had a different story (and, anyway, none partecipated to an airlanding)
Barbarigo
Supporter

Post by Barbarigo »

"Divisione Paracadutisti Folgore" was the first Italian para division. It was formed for a future airborne invasion of Malta (never realised) but then was sent in Northern Africa as infantry division. It fought very well at El-Alamein and Takrouna. It never took part in an airborne assault.
The Folgore that fought at Anzio was "Reggimento Folgore", the para regiment of the Repubblica Sociale Italiana.
Sorry for my bad english
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

Post by Enrico Cernuschi »

A company of Italian paratroopers of the orignal regiment which become, later, one of the Regt. of the Folgore Division jumped over the island of Cefalonia on 30 April 1941. It was not a bloody affair as the local Greek garrison (police elements) asked at once flour for the inhabitants (which was dropped in the following mission) giving away their German made sub machine guns (the first owned by Italian paratroopers).

In 1943 there were many missions of small groups of Italian paratroopers in North Africa and Sicily as sabouters, Used as penny packets achieve some results but were often waited on the drop zone by British troops (the Intelligence had a men of their pay list since the Twenties, an officier of the Italian Air Force, who worked in the Gabinetto - particoulary secretery - of the Air Chief of Staff) and were always lost.
Bye EC
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

Enrico Cernuschi wrote: (the Intelligence had a men of their pay list since the Twenties, an officier of the Italian Air Force, who worked in the Gabinetto - particoulary secretery - of the Air Chief of Staff) and were always lost.
Bye EC
Enrico,
cause this sort of debate had proceeded without confirmations in last 60 years, could you (protecting your source if needed) give finally some details about british infiltration in italian armed forces?
You can also write me privately, if you prefer

Thanks
Lupo
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

Post by Enrico Cernuschi »

A PM is coming. EC
Freiritter
Associate

Post by Freiritter »

Thanks all. These paratroops, were they Air Force or were they Army?
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

traditionally in Italy paratroopers are part of Army (also if in 1942-43 navy and air force created some their air commando unit) but in RSI in 1944-45 they had been incorporated in Air Force on German model
FB

Post by FB »

Enrico Cernuschi wrote:A PM is coming. EC
Hahem... wouldn't it be possible, if I may ask, for you to send me that PM aswell? Please?

I'm very interested in the topic, even if from a "starter" point of view, and your input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.