B-17 and B-24

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Bittrich
Contributor

B-17 and B-24

Post by Bittrich »

Since neither bomber are part of the Wehrmacht I'm going to post this here. Today at my local airport both bombers were on display. For $7.00 you were allowed to tour both. Cockpits and tailgunner sections were restricted. All in all an awesome event. It is incredable to see them in person. I recomend anyone with any interest in WWII go see them. If you have $350.00 to spend they will take you up on a flight. If interested check out their site for locations of tour stops in your area at:
http://www.collingsfoundation.org
To those who fought reguardless of nationality
D.W.
Enthusiast

Post by D.W. »

We had a B-24 and the only remaining flyable B-29 come to my hometown this summer. While the B-24 was neat the B-29 was incredible.
Really a technological feat for its time, and getting from the cockpit to the rear of the aircraft (and over the bomb bay) meant crawling through a small tube that was less than 3 feet in diameter. (They wouldn't let me do it)

If ever you get a chance to see the Superfortress do it. The good news is that there are restoration projects in progress where this will not be the only flyable B-29 much longer.
Bittrich
Contributor

B-29

Post by Bittrich »

I haven't seen a B-29 yet but hope to do so one day. The B-17 has a few tight spaces as well.
To those who fought reguardless of nationality
mikerock
Contributor

Post by mikerock »

We had on of the last 3 flying (at the time, i'm not sure how many today) Lancasters come to the Abbotsford Airshow a while back, it is a beautiful plane, but much smaller than I had anticipated!

--Mike
Pat D
Supporter

Warbirds

Post by Pat D »

You need to attend the EAA convention in Oshkosh, Wisconsin held every summer! Hundreds of warbirds, air shows and flyovers. Also the US Air Force museum in Dayton, Oh
Wurger
Contributor

Airworthy Lancasters

Post by Wurger »

If I recall correctly there are only two Lancasters currently in flying condition - one in the UK and one in Canada.

Caught the Canadian machine in the air at the Hamilton Airshow two years ago and shot almost two rolls of film during its ten minute flight.

Regards,

Wurger