Book search [see also Moderator's Announcement]

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

duncan
Supporter

Book search [see also Moderator's Announcement]

Post by duncan »

Hi
have lost a number of site addresses. Does anyone know of good German book search engines?
Thanks in adv.
Duncan
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

On the main page of Feldgrau.com you can enter German book searches!
duncan
Supporter

Post by duncan »

Thanks Jason
Bittrich
Contributor

Also try looking at....

Post by Bittrich »

http://www.sonic.net/~bstone/bib/index.shtml
It is a book finder web-site, but when you find the book your looking they help you order it.
To those who fought reguardless of nationality
Glenn

Book Search

Post by Glenn »

Duncan,

two excellent German language book search engines:

http://www.zvab.com/

http://www.sfb.at/

Regards
Glenn
duncan
Supporter

Rare books

Post by duncan »

Thanks for replies.

One of the difficulties I have is that I have two books, written and published in the field by german regiments. Very few dealers or people have heard of them. Every reason to believe they are very rare. (Was offered $800 for one unseen).

Books are:

Die Durchbruchs Schalcht Der 1. Panzer Armee (Hube breaking out of Pocket) "Im Auftrage des Chefs des Generalestabes der 1.Pnzerarmee im felde gearbeitet.

Sturm bis vor Moskaus Tore: kampfe der panzergruppe 4 in der Schlacht um Moskau vom 14.Okt.1944 - 5 Dez.1941.

Not really for sale, but trying to find out history ofbooks, numbers, value etc.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers

Duncan
Frederick L Clemens
Associate

Post by Frederick L Clemens »

Many such battle or campaign histories were self-published by German units during the war. I see them in loose-leaf form when I am doing unit record research. I have not seen them in hardbound form however, but I can imagine that could have been done with a certain number of copies. Are yours in fact hardbound? And do they appear to have been bound during the war or after?
It is odd that you say they are regimental histories when both are clearly done at a much higher level. That is typical for those battle reports - usually done at Corps, Army, or Army Group where they had the staff assets to generate such self-complimentary products.
Frederick
[email protected]
duncan
Supporter

Post by duncan »

Hi Frederick
They are hard bound. The first one clearly states it was produced in the field. One even has the names and ranks of the people who produced it, and it is obviously "hand made". I believe it was on "higher orders" but produced by the "lower ranks". I would not describe them as regimental histories, but an account of a particular campaign. One a diary form written by HUBE on the escape from the pocket, and the other attack on Moskau.

My email system is not fully functional - will be on broad band shortly (couple of weeks). keep in touch and I can scan and send you some example pages of the books.
Regards
Duncan
Frederick L Clemens
Associate

Okay, I look forward to seeing them. By the way, are you searching to find out their value or are you looking for others like them?
duncan
Supporter

Books published in the field

Post by duncan »

Frederick
I'm looking for background info, how many published, financial value (insurance) and historical etc. Quite happy to share contents. Little valuing just owning them and have them sitting on a shelf.

Cannot afford to buy more (2 children at University!), but I have a collection of 20 - 30 books, mostly published in germany during ww2, about ww2.

Interestingly, one of the soldiers named in "Sturm bis vor Moskaus Tore", is a Oberleunant Gunther Heysing. A Gunther Heysing wrote and published a book privately in Hamburg 1967 "Adler gegen Falken: Dokumentation Sonderdienste Der Deutschen Luftwaffen Im grieg gegen Die Sowjetunion". ?? Same person??

Any ideas about how to find him?

Regards
Duncan
Frederick L Clemens
Associate

Re: Books published in the field

[quote="duncan"]
I'm looking for background info, how many published, financial value (insurance) and historical etc...Interestingly, one of the soldiers named in "Sturm bis vor Moskaus Tore", is a Oberleunant Gunther Heysing. A Gunther Heysing wrote and published a book privately in Hamburg 1967 "Adler gegen Falken: Dokumentation Sonderdienste Der Deutschen Luftwaffen Im grieg gegen Die Sowjetunion". ?? Same person??

Info on the preparation of those wartime unit histories, if available, would most likely be in the unit records.
Guenther Heysing was a well-known Kriegsberichter (war journalist) and after the war he published the veterans magazine for KBs, called "Die Wildente". It is normal for KBs to be the writers for these type of histories.
duncan
Supporter

Post by duncan »

Thanks
Now to start research down another path!
Duncan