How could Paulus become CO of 6. Armee

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Enrico Mölders
Supporter

How could Paulus become CO of 6. Armee

Post by Enrico Mölders »

Hello,

I know there exists many controverse discussions about Paulus and his role as CO of the 6. Armee while the Stalingrad fiasco.

My question is how could someone like Friedrich Paulus become commanding officier of the strongest German Armee.
Remember he never commanded any larger formation until early 1942.

He was a typical Generalstabs Offizier and even the common periods when members of the Generalstab serve in field units wasn't the case with Paulus.

Marcel Stein who lately released a very intresting critical view of Erich von Manstein mentioned that Reichenau choose Paulus as CO because by taking him, Reichenau could control the 6. Armee in every way he wanted.
Paulus was widly known as a man who strictly follows every order and never qestioned any order.

Even if this was the case it remains stange that somone like Paulus was choosen and not a more experienced general who stands higher in the Dienstalterliste like Paulus.

bye Enrico
Last edited by Enrico Mölders on Sun May 04, 2003 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
' ... zu bedauern die Nation die Helden benötigt ! ' Berthold Brecht
heinz kling

Friedrich Paulus

Post by heinz kling »

Actually he was considered for the post of Chef of Generalstab by Hitler after the capture of Stalingrad, and apparently Chef before (Franz Halder) and after (Kurt Zeitler) him also had never served in the field (except their experience in WWI). An additional observation is that traditionally the Generalstab was staffed mostly by the most technical branch, the Artillerie.
ctschatz

Post by ctschatz »

It should also be mentioned that many german generals were appointed to high posts not for skill, but for there personal loyalty to Hitler.
C
"In war I would deal with the Devil and his grandmother. "
Josehph Stalin
Gareth Collins
Supporter

Post by Gareth Collins »

Paulus was a very competant commander. The fact that he lost an imopossible battle by sticting, adherently to Hitlers orders is down to him not disobeying and retreating and Adolf Hitler himself. You just have to look at Blummentritt to see that a Staff officer changing to a field command is not uncommon and not a disaster.
Enrico Mölders
Supporter

Post by Enrico Mölders »

Hello Gareth,

I didn't want to say that Paulus was an incompetent officer but I still can't understand the fact that he received such a commanding when many other high rank officers stands in the pipe.

Guderian as well As Manstein mentioned him as well talented 'Panzertaktiker' and under Halder he was also responsible for the planing of Barbarossa.

bye enrico
' ... zu bedauern die Nation die Helden benötigt ! ' Berthold Brecht