Need help on history of the german 79th Infantry Division

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

ibrahim ahmad

Need help on history of the german 79th Infantry Division

Post by ibrahim ahmad »

Hello my friends,

I recently bought a commemorative plate for the german 79th Infantry Division and would really welcome any information on the history of this unit. I did tried to google it but , came out the US 79th ID instead. I'll d really appreciate any help given. Thank You.

Cheers,
Ibrahim

Looking for all relevant info & items on the Monsun U-boats in Singapore and Asia for my research.
http://monsun-uboats.blogspot.sg/
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Re: Need help on history of the german 79th Infantry Division

Post by Kelvin »

Looking for organization of that division, see George Nafziger German order of battle : infantry in WWII
For brief history and commander , look at Samuel Mitcham German order of battle volume one.
hero.
Supporter

Post by hero. »

Hello Ibrahim !

Some info on the division can also be found here :
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... n/79ID.htm

Best regards,

hero.
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Hi,

Podzun-Verlag put out a small photo book called "Der Weg Der 79. Infanterie Division" It's 222 pages and I have a copy. It is in German, but I will be happy to answer specific questions about the division--if the answer is in the book.

Bestens,
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
ibrahim ahmad

Post by ibrahim ahmad »

Commissar D, the Evil wrote:Hi,

Podzun-Verlag put out a small photo book called "Der Weg Der 79. Infanterie Division" It's 222 pages and I have a copy. It is in German, but I will be happy to answer specific questions about the division--if the answer is in the book.

Bestens,
~D, the EviL
hi there ,
Is this the copy that you have ??

Cheers,
Ibrahim
Looking for all relevant info & items on the Monsun U-boats in Singapore and Asia for my research.
Commissar D, the Evil

It might be the dust cover Ibrahim, mine lacks one. The book I have is bound in green and has the Divisional sign, a double cross on the cover, underneath which is the inscription "TAPFER UND TREU". The side inscription is simply "DER WEG DER 79. INFANTERIE-DIVISION 1939-1945". However, there is nothing on the cover or inside that refers to "aus dem Osten", which leads me to believe that the book you have pictured is a different book because the one I have includes photos of the division in the French campaign. My book is strictly a picture book with maps and the like.

Bestens,
~D
ibrahim ahmad

Post by ibrahim ahmad »

Commissar D, the Evil wrote:It might be the dust cover Ibrahim, mine lacks one. The book I have is bound in green and has the Divisional sign, a double cross on the cover, underneath which is the inscription "TAPFER UND TREU". The side inscription is simply "DER WEG DER 79. INFANTERIE-DIVISION 1939-1945". However, there is nothing on the cover or inside that refers to "aus dem Osten", which leads me to believe that the book you have pictured is a different book because the one I have includes photos of the division in the French campaign. My book is strictly a picture book with maps and the like.

Bestens,
~D
Hi D,

I think I know what you mean, and I mistakenly taught it was a period publication.
This is the book you mention right?

Thanks for the input though.

Cheers,
Ibrahim.
Commissar D, the Evil

Yes Ibrahim, I believe that this is the one. Sorry I couldn't help.

Best,
~D