Soviet Amphibious Landings In 1945

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

panzerhan

Soviet Amphibious Landings In 1945

Post by panzerhan »

Does anybody know which types of amphibious vehicles (if they have used actually) or tanks did Soviet Naval Forces use in the amphibious landings in the Manchurian front in 1945?
Stephan H.
Contributor

Re: Soviet Amphibious Landings In 1945

Post by Stephan H. »

You might want to try Glantz's "The Soviet strategic offensive in Manchuria, 1945."

I'm looking for similar information, as German situation reports record the Red Army assaulting across the Oder River in April 1945 with amphibious tanks.

I'm not a Soviet armor expert but I'm not aware of any late war amphib tank production. My best guess is that they were early (prewar) models like the T-37A (2,627 produced) or T-38 (1,375 produced).

Cheers,
Stephan
panzerhan

Post by panzerhan »

Thank you Stephan,
I thought of buying that book but it was very expensive, maybe I should find a second -hand one.
I wonder if they used some land-lease amphibious vehicles both in Oder and the east, what do you think?
Stephan H.
Contributor

Post by Stephan H. »

I suggest you follow this link and read through a portion of the book and see if it is what you are looking for before you buy:

http://books.google.com/books?id=G8cJUk ... +manchuria

As far as lend-lease tanks go, your suggestion is entirely plausible. My only caveat is that the "majority" of lend-lease sent to the SU were trucks, jeeps, and other non-combat vehicles. This allowed the SU to motorize the Red Army while they focused production on armor. In my case, the Germans never mentioned what type of amphib tanks they encountered crossing the Oder, so I'll probably never know for sure.

Cheers,
Stephan
paul_atrydes

Post by paul_atrydes »

Stephan H. wrote:In my case, the Germans never mentioned what type of amphib tanks they encountered crossing the Oder, so I'll probably never know for sure.
In Belin Operation Soviets armies used only one type of amphibious vehicle - Ford GPA - in six special mechanised battalions (1 in 2nd Belorussian front, 4 in 1st Belorussian, 1 in 1st Ukranian).

In Manchurian Operation has been used only 275th special mechanised battalion in 6th Gds tank army.
panzerhan

Post by panzerhan »

You mean they used Ford GPA's in Manchuria too?
paul_atrydes

Post by paul_atrydes »

Yes.
panzerhan

Post by panzerhan »

Thank you so much. One more question, have you seen any pictures of that vehicle from that operation?
paul_atrydes

Post by paul_atrydes »

No.
Stephan H.
Contributor

Post by Stephan H. »

paul_atrydes wrote:In Belin Operation Soviets armies used only one type of amphibious vehicle - Ford GPA - in six special mechanised battalions (1 in 2nd Belorussian front, 4 in 1st Belorussian, 1 in 1st Ukranian).
Muad' Dib - Thank you for that info! However, according to T-311/170/72220028 what the Germans encountered crossing the Lower Oder on 20 April were reported as "Schwimmpanzers" or amphibian tanks. I'd hope whoever sent the report in knew the difference between a Ford GPA and a tank! As the report notes, the attack was repulsed.

Cheers,
Stephan