Edelweiss

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Helmut
Patron

Edelweiss

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
Did the Jaeger Division personnell wear the edelweiss on the cap and the uniform sleeve or was this specifically a Gebirgs badge. I saw a picture of a guy in one of the jaegeer divisions who had the edelweiss insignia on his cap but i wondered if he might have been in one of the Gebirgs-ivisons first.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Helmut
ghp95134
Supporter

Re: Edelweiss

Post by ghp95134 »

Griassdi, Helmut!

I don't know much about the Wehrmacht, but I'm pretty sure regular Jäger members wore oakleaves. Ski-Jägers wore oakleaves/ski emblems.

Jäger sleeve patch:

Jäger cap badge:

Skijäger:

Pfuead di!
--Guy
Franz Repper
Supporter

Post by Franz Repper »

The Edelweiss badge was first introduced foe wear on the 2nd of May 1939 it was to be warn on the right upper arm 16cm from the shoulder seam ,Like the arm badge was introduced for wear on the 2nd may 1939 it was introduced in 2 styles one for the Mountain cap (Bergmutze) and the Schirmmutze ,The Bergmutze edelweiss was made of white metal with the center showing a yellowish metal .Thiswas to be wornon the left side of the Bergmutze ,the stem of the edelweiss was to be set at an angle of 45 deg to te lower edge of the cap and positioned with the tip of the sem 2.5 cm above the lower edge of the cap and 2 cm from the back of the cap peak
Jäger arm badge this was introduced by an order dated 2nd October 1942 it was warn in the same way as the Gebrigsjäger arm badge .The cap badge came into service on the 2nd of August 1942

Ski Jäger The cap badge was introduced by an order dated 21st August 1944 The arm badge was again in August
Ski Jäger armbadge

Now here is for the Fly in the soup
The Legion Wallonie (it was still a Heer unit at this time) as a sign of outstanding service with the 97th Jäg div the Wallon Causcasian Veterans were awarded the privilage of wearing the Edelweiss on there caps and on the right arm .the veterans still wore the Edelweiss Heer patern when the Legion Wallonie was transferd to the Waffen SS
Denn jedem Kämpfer gibt ein Gott den Kameraden bei
Simon Orchard
Supporter

Post by Simon Orchard »

There is no evidence to date that indicates the Skijäger armbadge was ever worn or for that matter produced, the patch shown is a post war reproduction. As many members of the brigade\division came from Gebirgs divisionen more than a few continued to wear their edelweisses.

As for the Jäger. Those entitled to wear the insignia also included the independent Jäger battalions (which were designed and trained as ski battalions) as well as those regular infantry regiments that included a battalion designated as Jäger, for example III. (Jäger)/ Grenadier Regiment 341 of the 270 Infanterie Division. Jäger divisions could also include Gebirgs elements to them.

In addition, there were also a number of Ski battalions, like Ski Btl. 82 of the 7 Geb.Div. who wore GJ insignia. Or motorized W-SS infantry that wore the SS GJ insignia like SS-Schützen Btl. 6.
Franz Repper
Supporter

Post by Franz Repper »

Simon Orchard wrote:There is no evidence to date that indicates the Skijäger armbadge was ever worn or for that matter produced, the patch shown is a post war reproduction. As many members of the brigade\division came from Gebirgs divisionen more than a few continued to wear their edelweisses.

As for the Jäger. Those entitled to wear the insignia also included the independent Jäger battalions (which were designed and trained as ski battalions) as well as those regular infantry regiments that included a battalion designated as Jäger, for example III. (Jäger)/ Grenadier Regiment 341 of the 270 Infanterie Division. Jäger divisions could also include Gebirgs elements to them.

In addition, there were also a number of Ski battalions, like Ski Btl. 82 of the 7 Geb.Div. who wore GJ insignia. Or motorized W-SS infantry that wore the SS GJ insignia like SS-Schützen Btl. 6.
Simon thats an intresting post the skijäger badge the dates I have given I looked up again in the Brian L davis book ok an old book but still a Good one that was the dates he gave as for the badge beaing warn I have seen two sewn to jackets Both SS one was a collector trying to sell me the jacket . To be honest I think it may have been sewn on to push up the price the price , there is a photo in a book Waffen SS Uniforms and Insignia (ISBN 1-86126-461-5 page 63 of a ski jäger arm badgeon a jacket
The photo I posted yes it is a post war Copy I did not say it was an original it was just to show the badge .
motorized W-SS infantry that wore the SS GJ insignia like SS-Schützen Btl. 6.
Were they not part of SS Gebirgs Div Nord ? so by that rule they could wear the SS GJ insignia
Denn jedem Kämpfer gibt ein Gott den Kameraden bei
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
Thanks for all the input but I was really wanting to know about the Jaeger Divisons such as the 5th, 28th 97th, 100th and 101st. Did they wear the Edelwiss on their caps?

Thanks again,

Regards,

Hhelmut
Tanker Mike
Supporter

Post by Tanker Mike »

Helmut wrote:Servus,
Thanks for all the input but I was really wanting to know about the Jaeger Divisons such as the 5th, 28th 97th, 100th and 101st. Did they wear the Edelwiss on their caps?
They should have worn the Jaeger metal cap badge. A quick look through one book found one photo of a soldier from the 28th Jaeger Division with the metal cap badge on his M43 cap.

Mike
"It is well war is so terrible, we should grow too fond of it."
-Gen. Robert E. Lee
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

OK, so they wore a badge but it was different for the Gebirgstruppen.

Thanks for your help. :D :up:

Regards,

Helmut
ghp95134
Supporter

WWII Photo of Jäger Oakleaves

Post by ghp95134 »

I found the below image on another forum, posted by MrPeanut05:

I hope MrPeanut05 does not mind me citing his post and linking to his image.

--Guy
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Thank you very much!!!!

Regards,

Helmut
Spielhahn

Post by Spielhahn »

My Uncle served with the 97th Jäger Division. Originally, he was trained as a Gebirgsjäger and then transferred over to the Jäger Division. Of all the war time photos I’ve seen of his unit, most of the men wear the Edelweiss insignia on both the bergmutze and shoulder. When asked, most men I've talked to said they were Gebirgjäger first. So, my understanding is they wore both, depending on how they were trained.