archival maps

Feldgrau's WWII operational map project, map research, archives, tools and techniques, and research requests.

Moderator: Abicht

MadDog
Associate

archival maps

Post by MadDog »

Sprinkled through the anlagen data, I have found several maps detailing the positions of German ground forces. I would like to match this to a modern map. However, the maps have very little in the way of reference points. The only reference points are curious star points with 2 numbers. These dont seem to be lattitude or longitude (I checked some on Google Earth), but something else. In the example below
map.jpg
map.jpg (219.22 KiB) Viewed 5695 times
are the numbers on the star something tied to a custom German notation you can only find on the German maps of the time period ?

thanks,

Mad Dog
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Re: archival maps

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I can't guarantee it, but I've heard that the Germans didn't have a universal system for that. So, if that's correct, you'd have to know what the base map was for the overlay, and go from there.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

I wonder if it relates to the grids on this example from the anlagen:
map2.jpg
map2.jpg (108.4 KiB) Viewed 5668 times
Unfortunately it wont do me much good without the maps. Too bad you cant buy a set of reproduction german war maps.

thanks,

Mad Dog
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

From what I understand the most commonly used German topo map was the 1:300,000 scale. This grid system was figured out by the allies after the war and although I dont know what it is I think all the documents are held at the UK National Archives. I am sure there are other places to find it as well.

Also there are a few places you can get scans of several different maps scales, of the original German maps. The best one is American Geographic Society Library in Milwaukee. http://www.uwm.edu/Libraries/AGSL/ You can write they via email asking what captured German maps they have, by scale over a certian point. I think they charge $10.00 per high quality scan. They dont have complete coverage, and most maps are over the Eastern front.

Also you can go to the LOC here in Washington DC to see the same sets of maps and either take pics with you camera, or they will scan a map in for you at $50.00. NARA also has some of these maps but their carto division does not have these very well organized at all and it will take you awhile to find the right map. Again the AGS is the best, they will do the work for you and at a very low cost.

I will dig into the grid system to see what I can find, I know this question has come up before.
M.Abicht
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

Thanks Abicht. I sent them an email. While I could probably figure out the number of gradations per inch, without a scale, it doesnt do too much good.

thanks,

Mad Dog
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

Well, I tried a little Photoshop magic by overlaying one of the maps with 2 keys as well as a river line and 2 cities labeled, onto a google map of the area. Assuming I didnt screw up, the gradations on the keys are 1 km increments (I was within 10% so I figure it has to be precisely 1 km). This is for the 1:50,000 maps.

Roughly speaking, Tilburg (Holland) is

|
|

If anyone wants to double-check me, I can send the files I used.

Mad Dog
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

Hmm, 1000 meter increments seems to makes sense, especially with artillery plotting.
M.Abicht
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

I am unsure if the 200:000 scale maps use the same gradations or scale them 1:4 (or is it 4:1 ?).

thanks,

Mad Dog
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

I suspect the second map2.jpg shot is also 1 km/mark.

Mad Dog
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

Today I came across a set of German aerial photos taken in the Army Group Center area in 1943 which were taken/used for mapping purposes. Many of these photos were gridded with 1km lines. So I guess the 1km increment is correct.
M.Abicht
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

Thanks for the check. I think this means that the 200,000:1 maps are 4 km/increment ? (brain hurts)

Now all I need are some old German maps so I can overlay the positions.

thanks,

Mad Dog