Insignia Question

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/campaig ... rmedal.htm

There were more awards like the E.K.II worn that way so maybe you saw these. But the red one is most likely the "Ostfrontmedaille"

\Christoph
Last edited by Christoph Awender on Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Let's not forget that the chap asking the question might not know what "EKII" or EK2: actually means. The soldier in the artwork appears to be wearing the ribbon of the 1939 Iron Cross 2nd Class through his buttonhole. "EK2" or "EKII" is the German abbreviation for Eiserne Kreuz II Klasse.

As Awender says, other ribbons were worn in this way, including the ribbon of the 1941/21 Winter War in the East (Russian Front) Medal, the green ribbon of the Eastern Peoples' Awards, the War Merit Cross 2nd Class and, of course, WW1 awards like the 1914 Iron Cross 2nd Class and certain kingdom, duchy and state awards.

By the way, since Mr Awender linked us to one of Sebastián Bianchi's amazing articles, I'd just like to clarify a couple of points for the benefit of anyone who is new to collecting and studying Third Reich awards. The 1941/42 Winter War Medals were struck in "feinzink". I suppose one could refer to feinzink as "buntmetall". given that "buntmetall" is simply an inclusive terms for any non-ferrous metal or alloy. The condition of these medals today - and other mid to late-war awards struck or injection-moulded in zink - depends largely upon the constitution and quality of the zink-based alloy to begin with.

On another tack, the medal was designed as opposed to "created" by SS-Uscha Ernst Krause rather that "Krauit". Sgt Krause, a military war correspondent with the Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler, was the youngest artist shown in the national art exhibition of 1942 and was invited by the Ordenskanzlei to submit a design after the rejection of no less than ninety-six designs from established designers and academics. Hitler had admired Krause's painting Ritterkreuzträger der Waffen-SS and is said to have indicated that he wanted Krause to design it because of his talent and because he was a veteran of the Winter War. Krause submitted his sketches at the end of April 1942 and the medal was announced on 26.5.1942 and confirmed by Reichsgesetzblatt 61/375 on 6.6.1942.

PK
PaulR
Supporter

Post by PaulR »

Hi PK,

Thank you for the explaination on the Winter War medal. I never knew how the design came to be. :up:

I agree that the button hole ribbon in the painting is most definately an Iron Cross Second Class.

The following Ribbons were allowed for wear in the second button hole on the military tunic:

1. Iron Cross Second Class(1914 or 1939 ribbon types)
2. War Merit Cross Second Class(with or without swords)
3. Winter War
4. Eastern People's Awards
5. Lifesaving Medal

Despite this, I have seen oddities(especially on some of the lower police and political uniforms) where a War Service Medal or even a Hindenburg Cross ribbon was sewn into a buttonhole. :?

Sorry for the extra information. I just find it interesting how the regs worked.
Always looking for Luftwaffe Administrative uniforms