IL-10

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
MWellner
Supporter

IL-10

Post by MWellner »

In what ways would IL-10s be brought down?
Could they be hit in the oil cooler to bring them down like the IL-2 as stated in Erich Hartmanns biography (Blond Knight of Germany)?

He states the IL-10 literally had to be hacked to pieces.
Lorenz
Patron

Re: IL-10

Post by Lorenz »

MWellner wrote:In what ways would IL-10s be brought down?
Could they be hit in the oil cooler to bring them down like the IL-2 as stated in Erich Hartmanns biography (Blond Knight of Germany)?
He states the IL-10 literally had to be hacked to pieces.
Anyone getting ready to hunker down for a long, cold winter in Bemidji/MN deserves an answer. :D

IIRC, hits in the oil cooler worked. Also, the Il-2 was most heavily armored along its belly to protect it from ground fire because, being a ground-attack plane, it flew low and slow. Accordingly, German pilots liked to concentrate their 20 mm fire on the cockpit area in an attempt to kill the crew. But as Hartmann said, it took a lot of hits to bring one down.

--Lorenz
TPMM
Contributor

Post by TPMM »

I've heard that German pilots called Il-2 and Il-10 "Concrete planes" according to their great durability. Calling them a "Flying tank" is also quite a good idea.
Don't worry, be crazy ;]
Lustmolch
Supporter

Post by Lustmolch »

TPMM wrote:I've heard that German pilots called Il-2 and Il-10 "Concrete planes" according to their great durability. Calling them a "Flying tank" is also quite a good idea.
"Zementer", I heard quoted somewhere.
TPMM
Contributor

Post by TPMM »

Zementer is German word and concrete is English. Not everybody knows German language, so I decided to post translated.
Don't worry, be crazy ;]
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

TPMM wrote:Zementer is German word and concrete is English. Not everybody knows German language, so I decided to post translated.
Gentlemen, if I may......
Auf Englisch, the white powdery stuff that comes in the heavy bags is called c e m e n t. It is made from alumina, silica, lime, iron oxide and magnesium oxide that has been fired in a kiln. After you mix this with sand and/or gravel and water to be poured or made into blocks used in construction, it is called c o n c r e t e. So CEMENT (English) and ZEMENT (deutsch) are the same.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

LOL i love the way threads here diverge - cement is the raw fired powder mix as Lorenz describes OR the gooey grey stuff that holds bricks together - once mixed in the correct proportion of three of sand and one of cement with water added. Concrete is only what you get ONCE you mix enough broken rock, gravel etc. so that there is at least only as much cement as there is rock, and preferably more rock. THIS is concrete, and if poured around an inner steel rod former its "reinforced concrete". The name comes from the term "concretion", a build up of any material on a surface until it sets as hard as rock - barnacles on a ship's hull, old limpets on seashore rocks, my mother's stew on the plate....cement without rock ballast in it is a sloppy goo that is not strong of itself, it only serves to bind bricks together,its concrete that is strong.

Cement is a generic term used to describe any binding mixture - thus you can have dental cement - that clove-tasting white stuff that temporary fillings are made of, modellers' cement which is the clear, smelly-trippy stuff that also melts holed in expanded polystyrene lol.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

If you tell them any more, p.r., they'll quit their jobs and start up construction firms.

--Lorenz :D
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Anyone starts a thread on the Westwall I just have to cut-and-paste! lol
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
TPMM
Contributor

Post by TPMM »

Phylo_r and Lorenz - thanks you for correcting me.
Now I know who should I ask for help if I ever want to fortify my home 8)
Don't worry, be crazy ;]