Warcrimes commited by 7th Panzer, France 1940

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Beppo Schmidt
Associate

Post by Beppo Schmidt »

post deleted
infantryscout

Post by infantryscout »

You might keep this in the context of what happended in the occupied Rhineland after World War One. French colonial troops were responsible for numerous rapes of German civilians MALE and female beginning in 1919. The source is a report to General Pershing about rapes by French Colonial Troops which lists the names of the perpetrators and the victims. It was in the collection of the US National Archives and the investigation was in reposne to a complaint by a US Senator on alledged attrocities committed in the French zone by Colonial troops. I might add that the report by the US Army went out its way to clear French culpability.

While it will never be known if this played any role in the acts committed against German civilians in the late teens and early twenties it is a possibility. In any event I would not leap to the conclusions that the Colonials were "saints."

But two wrongs never equal a right.

Phil

BTW I'll provide a CD-ROM copy of the report to anyone that will pay the Postage.
Last edited by infantryscout on Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
haen2
WWII Vet

ss officer

Post by haen2 »

Tom Houlihan wrote:This could be related to a question I was getting ready to put up.

Being aware of Rommel's opinion of the SS (generally speaking), what are the chances of an SS Untersturmführer being assigned to 7.Panzer's Feldpolizei unit?

I'm in the midst of a memoir right now, and that is the claim. Somehow, it doesn't seem right.

Then again, if there were an SS officer, loosely attached to the RSHA, that could be a factor in the murder of 100-odd French soldiers.
Hi Tom, would you care to elaborate the "ss oficer loosely attached to this unit could be a factor in the murder of 100-odd French soldiers "???"
As an ex-waffen SS soldier, I feel very unconfortable with statements like that. As if it was natural for SS soldiers to commit murder or so.
I think I know your real vision, and also know that this is not your normal vision about us; so where did this come from.?
Still your friend !! :? :!:
HN
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !