Poles in the 14SS

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

PAWEL_202

Poles in the 14SS

Post by PAWEL_202 »

It is just a simple question but every time I ask it
it starts bitter FLAMEWARS all off topic.So..........
were there Poles in the 14SS if so, how many do you think

Thank You,Pawel
PAWEL_202

Post by PAWEL_202 »

OH...... one more thing "PLEASE" J.P. Slavjanski don't
post. While you are a good friend and a great mind
you are Wrong!! about poles in the 14SS & if you post it will just
start a FLAMEWAR "I WANT OTHER OPINIONS" not just yours

Thank You,Pawel
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Pawel-202,

It depends what you mean by "Poles".

The division was raised in Galicia largely from ethnic Ukrainians.

At that time the Germans considered Galicia part of the Reich and so technically they were German subjects in German eyes.

However, the USSR had seized most of Galicia off Poland in September 1939 and so presumably considered the division's manpower to be largely Soviet citizens.

However, the Polish government in exile had never recognised either the Russian or German claims to Galicia and still considered them Poles.

However, the men of the division considered themselves Ukrainian nationalists.

Take your pick.

Cheers,

Sid.
Wurger
Contributor

Post by Wurger »

After nearly two years on my own research into the Division, my conclusions agree with Sid's. The men of the 14th SS Grenadiers (in its first incarnation) were mostly from Galicia, which was part of pre-war Poland. So, nationally, they would be considered Poles. It was this arguement which allowed surviving members to avoid being re-patriated to the USSR (and no doubt sent to Siberia) after the war.

Ethnically, however, they were Ukrainians and measures were taken during the recruitment process to ensure that the Division's membership was homogeneously western Ukrainian. These measures excluded not only Poles, but also eastern Ukrainians from joining. Thus, western Ukrainians formerly serving in the Polish Army were allowed to join the Division, while their former Polish comrades at arms were prohibited.

Michael Melnyk, who has recently published a great book on the Ukrainian Division, does post here on occasion, so maybe he can provide some further clarification.

Regards,

Wurger - Resident Leftist Thug
PAWEL_202

Post by PAWEL_202 »

Thank you one and all.
its not what I wanted to hear :( But facts are facts
I guess now I have to pay up on the bet I made with J.P Slavjanski
(a bottle of good Polish vodka)."Oh well live and learn" Ill get him next
time

Thank You,Pawel
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Pawel-202,

You may have achieved a Feldgrau landmark by being the first person to admit publicly on line to being wrong!

This will probably not be an example widely followed, because too many of us here on Feldgrau are more worried about losing face than establishing the facts.

Yours,

the invariably correct and impeccably accurate,

Sid.
J.P. Slovjanski
Supporter

Post by J.P. Slovjanski »

As I begin my victory speech I would first like to thank the Academy, and of course...Jesus!

But seriously; there is no greater honor that to battle a worthy opponent, and no vodka sweeter than that which has been won.

Jolly good show, Paul.
Norman aus Lemberg

Post by Norman aus Lemberg »

Hold on to that vodka Pawel! ;)

I believe the question was "Were there any Poles in 14th SS", and not "can 14th SS be considered Polish". After reading up memuars I did came across a mentioning of one volunteer who was ethnic pole , I still don't know how he choose to volunteer. Further more if you check the lists of volunteers, you will find that there is a number of people with very polish names - those could be from mixed Ukr. Pol. families or from ukrainianized Poles. Also some volksdeutsche form Poland also ended up in division.

Cheers to Zubrowka!
PAWEL_202

Post by PAWEL_202 »

It's OK I was wrong I didnt check my facts,thought with my heart
instead of my brain when I took the bet.Its just I assumed with 600.000 Poles living in the Ukr. at least 2% would have joined. Plus the fact that the Polish gov. in exile help them escape the Red army

We (J.P & I) have been fighting this one out for almost 7 months
throwing facts and"what ifs" at each other till I finily gave in

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!...BUT I HAVE A NEW BET.
I say Slovoks fought in Stalingrad he says no

====VODKA 4 PAWEL. YES!YES!YES!====
=Treu-Tapher-Gehorsam=
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Pawel-202,

I think you have lost again. It was Croats at Stalingrad.

During the period of the battle of Stalingrad the Slovak Rapid was in the western Caucasus Mountains while the Slovak Security Division was in the Ukraine just south of the Pripet Marshes. Definitely no Slovak units at Stalingrad.

Cheers,

Sid.
PAWEL_202

Post by PAWEL_202 »

TO:MODERATOR

I want ..no DEMAND that Sid G. be banned for spreading
false infromati................WHOU! I was starting to post
just like a Feldgrau regular, sorry Sid :D :D

but in truth Im still trying to prove my "bet"
and I thank you for your input

Pawel

===VODKA 4 PAWEL MAYBE,MAYBE,MAYBE===
=Treu-Tapher-Gehorsam=
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Pawel,

Good Luck.

However, if you want to turn a ready buck, my advice is to start with less ambitious and more easily verifiable bets. My top recommendations are:

1) The Germans defended Berlin in 1945.

2) The RAF contested the Battle of Britain in 1940.

3) It was Russians under siege at Leningrad.

Then a triumphant PAWEL can happily drown in a sea of Vodka.

Cheers,

Sid.
laszlo.nemedi
Supporter

Post by laszlo.nemedi »

sid guttridge wrote:Hi Pawel,

Good Luck.

However, if you want to turn a ready buck, my advice is to start with less ambitious and more easily verifiable bets. My top recommendations are:

1) The Germans defended Berlin in 1945.

2) The RAF contested the Battle of Britain in 1940.

3) It was Russians under siege at Leningrad.

Then a triumphant PAWEL can happily drown in a sea of Vodka.

Cheers,

Sid.
hmmm, are you sure? :D
KampfgruppeMeyer
Banned

Post by KampfgruppeMeyer »

sid guttridge wrote:Hi Pawel-202,

You may have achieved a Feldgrau landmark by being the first person to admit publicly on line to being wrong!

This will probably not be an example widely followed, because too many of us here on Feldgrau are more worried about losing face than establishing the facts.

Yours,

the invariably correct and impeccably accurate,

Sid.
i have admitted being wrong several times
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue...
ghost
Supporter

Poles in the 14 Galician Division

Post by ghost »

1. When the recruitment statutes for the Galician Division were originally issued by the German authorities in Galicia they specified "NO POLES".

2. However, the same document stated it was not necessary for them to have been born in Galicia but only resident there for some time, confirmation of which was to be provided by the village head, a system clearly open to abuse.

3. Galicia is a border area the population of which is mixed Ukrainian / Polish.

4. Only a few months after the recruitment programme had begun, in order to find the necessary manpower, the organisers contrived to maintain the momentum of the recuitment by extending the campaign from Galicia to other areas of the Generalgouvernement including the neighbouring provincial centres of the districts of Cracow and later Lublin. These were predominatly 'Polish' provinces. Later recruitment took place in the provinces of Cholm, and Hrubeshiv, which were also predominatly Polish).

5. As has already been correctly stated the official reason why the survivors of this unit were not repatriated was that they were defined as "Poles".

6. Whilst the rump of the Division was interned by the Brits in Italy at the camp at Rimini, on 17th June 1945, a Polish delegation arrived which appealed to the western Ukrainians as 'former Polish citizens' to join the second Polish Army Corps, commanded by Polish General Wladyslaw Anders.The first batch of one hundred and seventy six availed themselves of the opportunity to join up (115 before noon on 17 June 1945, and 61 in afternoon). Later the following month a further 50 men joined followed by an additional 105 men. Even though many did so just to escape the depravations of incarceration, undoubtedly some who went were probably of Polish origin - masquerading as Ukrainians.

In my view the truth would therefore seem to be that the 14 Galician Division did include Poles - that is men who were Polish by birth or even registered as Polish Nationals, even though strictly speaking Poles were officially banned from enlistment. But as we all know, German principals were often elastic when it came to matters of military expediency.

Mike Melnyk
Last edited by ghost on Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.