1st SS Police Regiment, Budapest

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Airdale

1st SS Police Regiment, Budapest

Post by Airdale »

I'm looking for some information about this unit that was in the Budapest cauldron in 44-45.

1. Who was the commanding officer?

2. Was this unit detatched from the 4th SS Polizei division?

3. What was the ethnic make-up of the regiment?

I've read some conflicting info about this unit in the limited material thats available to me, any help would be much appreciated! Thanks for your time-
joefraser
Supporter

Re: 1st SS Police Regiment, Budapest

Post by joefraser »

If you believe The German Defeat in the East, 1944-45 By Samuel W. Mitcham then, The First SS police regiment was from the 4th SS Panzer Grenadier Division. From Tim Ripley Waffen SS at War, the First SS Police Regiment was made up of mainly Hungarians and suffered from desertions.
According to a post on AHF SS-Ostubaf. Fritz Grandke was the Commander.
I expect you had all that already though.
Charles Trang
Supporter

Post by Charles Trang »

By December 1944, 4.SS-Polizei-Pz.Gren.Division's regiments were SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt.7 and SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt.8. So SS-Polizei-Rgt.1 could not have belonged to this division ! Maybe there were some understandable confusion as SS-Standartenführer Helmut Dörner led SS-Polizei-Rgt.6 in the Budapest cauldron and he was a former member of the 4.SS-Polizei-Pz.Gren.Division.
Phil Nix

Post by Phil Nix »

There was another Police Regiment 1 which was reorganised in Hungary during August 1944 with the I Battalion from Hamburg the II Battaliopn from Prague and thje III Batailon was the re-organuised III Battalion of SS Police Regiment 21 in Hungary. The commander was SS Obersturmbannführer Fritz Grandke from 20.10.1944 to 12.3.1945 The regiment saw action with the 8 th SS Cavalry Division December/January 1944/1945 it then retrested to East Germany where it was disbanded on the 12th March 1945
Phil Nix