Zarndec?

First World War 1914-1918 from the German perspective.

Moderator: sniper1shot

jgr

Zarndec?

Post by jgr »

I have just recently received a copy of records from the StadtArchive in Gera where my grandfather's family was living showing that my grandfather's brother, Arno Werner Geissler, died in combat 22 June 1915 in Zarndec. No-one in the Archives, and no-one else I have contacted, has any idea where Zarndec is/was. There is no indication in Arno's records of his unit; his brother my grandfather was serving at least some of the time with the Grenadier-Regt. König Friedrich I (4.Ostpreußisches) Nr.5, (Danzig) XVII Armee Korps, German Imperial Army.

Can anyone help? Does this location ring any bells?

-- jgr
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Re: Zarndec?

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello jgr and welcome to Feldgrau!

The only thing that I can contribute with is that the Grenadier-Regt. König Friedrich I (4.Ostpreußisches) Nr.5 was part of the 36. Infanterie-Division that at the time of your Grandfather's brother's death took part in the Gorlice-Tarnów Offensive on the Eastern front between May and September of 1915. I don't know if this is relevant to your research but it's maybe a start? See link for an introductionary article of the Offensive... (There's a map)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorlice-Ta ... _Offensive

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)