Camouflage uniforms

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Helmut
Patron

Camouflage uniforms

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
i have seen pictures of WSS troops wearing camouflage smocks as early as the 1940 French campaign. When did the Heer start issuing camouflage uniforms to it's troops? Most of the fictures I have seen are from late 1943 (?) at the earliest.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Helmut
Reb
Patron

Re: Camouflage uniforms

Post by Reb »

Helmut

I've got a book on III Pz Korps at Kursk that says GD was issued camo before the battle and has photographic evidence of 7 pz and IIRC 6 pz with some. I don't know if this was a reissue or first time - the way its described sounds like it was new - at least for 7 pz.

cheers
Reb
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Helmut and Reb,

In the winter of 1942/43 the reversible wintercamouflage clothing was introduced so in the early spring of 1943 these would have been worn with the camo-side out.
To the best of my knowledge the 'regular' uniform pieces that were produced in camouflagecolours were introduced just before Zitadelle though none of my books provides an exact date (or even a month) of introduction.

In a way all Heer troops were provided with a camouflaged piece of kit in the form of their Zeltbahn that could be used as a poncho. Since 1931 IIRC.

cheers,

Paul
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Thanks for the info guys!!

Regards,

Helmut