When did the MP40 cease production?

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

maschinengewehr42
Supporter

When did the MP40 cease production?

Post by maschinengewehr42 »

I've often wondered when exactly the MP40 went out of production. All surviving examples I've encountered while collecting have been early to mid-war examples. The latest date I've seen on either a receiver or a magazine has been 1943. Was it really taken out of production at such an early stage? If not, where are all the late war examples now? I'm looking for concrete information about cessation of production, or failing that, even rumours might be interesting!
timmy872
Supporter

Re: When did the MP40 cease production?

Post by timmy872 »

from what i can find the MP40 production was supposed to be stopped and switched to newer weapons in 1943. for what or whether this happened i dont know. sorry.
maschinengewehr42
Supporter

Re: When did the MP40 cease production?

Post by maschinengewehr42 »

Thanks for the information. I posted the same question on AHF and got a date of between August and October 1944 for the last production, according to the Propaganda series of books. But no definitive information as to which factories stopped production when. It's very elusive. Thanks again for the interest. Still looking for any more information on this subject if anyone has more detailed literature available.