Up The Tigers!

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Cott Tiger
Associate

Up The Tigers!

Post by Cott Tiger »

I know it’s off topic and totally unrelated to our interests here, but I need to scream it from the rooftops.

HULL CITY AFC are in the Premiership.

In one of the best days of my life, the Mighty Tiger Nation travelled to the fantastically impressive new Wembley stadium last Saturday and beat Bristol City in the Championship play-off to win the richest game in world football (£60 million pay-day) and secure a place in next season Premiership. All in front of nearly 90,000 fans.

The Tigers had never played at Wembley or played football in the top-flight our entire 104 year history.

Even better, a local born Hull lad, Dean Windass, scored the winner (a beautiful volley) for his hometown club. Not only that but he was the oldest man on the pitch by several years at 39.

A real fairy-tale ending, for a club that was in the bottom division and bankrupt just seven years ago.

As a life-long supporter, the feeling and the celebrations that came after the final whistle blew on Saturday will stay with me for the rest of my life.

We painted London black n' amber for the whole weekend in celebration.
Up The Tigers!
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Re: Up The Tigers!

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Aha, so that's why you have "Up the Tigers" as a tagline! :shock:

Well then André, congratulations to the victory and for playing in Premier Legaue for the first time ever next season! :D :up: :!:

Cheers :beer:

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
greenhorn
Contributor

Post by greenhorn »

Congratulations to Hull City!

I'm checked this thread as I thought it was going to about Leicester RUFC... but there you go..

Is Cott short for ingham?

The Dean Windass shot very impressive for an older geezer.... probably be the heaviest player by a couple of pork pies in the top flight next year.....
Banzai!
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

:up:

Haven't heard of Hull since...

waleed
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

Doktor Krollspell wrote:Aha, so that's why you have "Up the Tigers" as a tagline! :shock:

Well then André, congratulations to the victory and for playing in Premier Legaue for the first time ever next season! :D :up: :!:

Cheers :beer:

Krollspell

Cheers Doktor. The tagline does seem to baffle a few people, as indeed does my username. I hope all is a bit clearer now!

Regards,

André
Up The Tigers!
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

greenhorn wrote:Congratulations to Hull City!

I'm checked this thread as I thought it was going to about Leicester RUFC... but there you go..

Is Cott short for ingham?

The Dean Windass shot very impressive for an older geezer.... probably be the heaviest player by a couple of pork pies in the top flight next year.....
The Cott does indeed stand for Cottingham, which is a village (the largest village in Europe no less) on the outskirts of Kingston-upon-Hull.

As for Deano, he might be a “chunky” lad, but he still knows how to put the ball in the back of the net. His goal was one of the best ever seen at Wembley. Not bad for a bloke in his 40th year!

Regards,

André
Up The Tigers!
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

Waleed Y. Majeed wrote::up:

Haven't heard of Hull since...

waleed
It's funny you should mention the Housemartins, Waleed.

Some of their songs are used as anthems by the Hull City fans, (namely Happy Hour and Caravan of Love). After the game on Saturday we went into a pub and seeing that we were all Tigers fans the DJ put on Happy Hour – the place just erupted!

Incidentally, as you may know, some members of the Housemartins went onto to form The Beautiful South. Dave Stead, the drummer for the band, was sat a couple of rows in front of me at Wembley! He’s a local lad (from Cottingham no less) and despite being in one of the biggest bands in the World he's still a huge City fan, as is Dave Rotheray (guitarist).

Regards,

André
Up The Tigers!
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

Incidentally, as you may know, some members of the Housemartins went onto to form The Beautiful South
Oh, yes! Have all the Housemartins albums and some of the Beautiful South too. Great music!

One thing I would LOVE to see is: Hull City 4 - Manchester United 0 (hopefully next season)... :D
An "Anfield" man myself :wink: I can't stand Sir Alex and his red devils!!! :evil:

waleed
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Waleed Y. Majeed wrote:Hull City 4 - Manchester United 0
If you'll bet on that result next season and it comes true, then you can even afford to buy some books from J.J. Fedorowicz Publishing. :wink:

I do hope that Hull will make a (much) better effort than poor old Derby did this last season. My sympathies is always on the underdog (but my wallet's on the heavies! 8)

Looking forward to the next PL season,

Krollspell (The only Swedish kid back in the seventies that had Coventry as a favorite team... :wink: )
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)