Pitching a b*tch about the boob-tube!

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Tom Houlihan
Patron

Pitching a b*tch about the boob-tube!

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I just finished watching a program on the Military Channel. I shouldn't do this so close to the computer. Before it was done, I had to send off a note to those folks:
Network The Military Channel
Program/Show Weaponology
Comments If you were to locate my threads on various WWII fora, you'd note my military history preferences. I'm researching a divisional history on a Waffen-SS division. Thus while watching Weaponology: Waffen-SS, I was sorely disappointed in the over-emphasis you gave the W-SS in European combat. Regardless of my interest in the W-SS, this program promoted the myth of the W-SS, rather than straight history. Even the reenactors, who should have known better, made statements that were inaccurate or even erroneous, as did the narrator. Overall, I enjoyed the program, especially the footage, but I could easily direct you to books and knowledgeable persons who could have prevented those errors.
I will give credit where due, though. Unlike another program with historical programming, at least you allow me the opportunity to voice my concerns.
I prefer your channel over the other for the most part, but I truly wish you had more historians and history pedants reviewing some of these programs. It would prevent misinformation from feeding these younger generations who take TV as gospel!
I'll let you know if I hear anything back from them!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

That particular episode of "Weaponology" seems to be creating quite a stir on the Net!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Why, what did you find/hear?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

There's another thread running on AHF, and surfing from place to place in the last few days I've seen similar complaints. Some as polite and some definitely NOT so! :D
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Einsamer_Wolf
Banned

Post by Einsamer_Wolf »

I saw the program. Better than most. The show really was NOT a program on the Waffen SS, but rather the weaponry and equipment of the Waffen SS. In this way, I really do not understand why the show was simply not a program about the weaponry of the Heer and Waffen SS since all the equipment they showed was of course also employed by dem Heer. I agree with you the showed perpetuated not what I would call a myth, but rather certain popular conceptions that are only very generally true. Some of the Waffen SS divisions were unparalled, others though, especially the divisions der ss were quite low quality. The notion that the Waffen SS were elites is only true for certain divisions. Of course, I was annoyed that the show suggested that the ranks of the Waffen SS were monolithic in their supposed disregard for the geneva convention, et al.
One thing that surprised me is that, given that it was supposed to focus exclusiely on the Waffen SS, it never discussed the uniforms andmarkings peculiar to the Waffen SS. No discussion of oakleave or pea pattern camo, for example.
You should keep in mind that compared to other programming available, this show really was not that bad. I saw an archived programme from the World War II series. The particular episode, supposedly recounting the Polish Campaign, had a lot of stock footage from what looks to be the Battle of Kursk, almost four years later. Thats right, instead of Panzer iis and iis and 38ts, they had footage of an Elefant while discussing the Polish Campaign. I believe I also saw footage of a long barreled Panzer IV. I was astounded. There are of course other episodes. A programme blood in the snow about the Ostfront said that the T34 outclassed the Tiger and Panther. Mind you, it did not say that the quantiative superioirty of the t34 quelled the T34, but that the T34 outclassed the Panther and Tiger! The concern of course is that when I watcha show on something I am otherwise ignornant aboout, I am unwittingly exposed to other such blatant falsehoods and egregious inaccuracies.

EW
Mögen die Flammen unserer Begeisterung niemals zum Erlöschen kommen.
michael kenny
Associate

Post by michael kenny »

If you get a copy of the Die Deutsche Wochenschau for the war then basicaly you have 90% of all the German footage you see in these compilations. Be aware that the newsreels themselves are edited and contain miscaptioned locations and dates
Long ago I stopped relying on these Tapes/CD's and went straight to the source. The IWM Film Collection and 'Wochenschau' more or less covers everything and you a free from the lazy researchers favourite scenes.
Last time I was at The IWM I was told they are simply asked for 'some scenes of German tanks advancing' ect so they just give them whats easiest to find!
John W. Howard

Weaponology

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Tom:
I must admit I turned it off, so I missed the footage. I was very disappointed with what I saw of it too. I was hoping for something above the elementary school level, but I should have known. Good for you for writing; hopefully they will pay attention and improve their product. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Well, I got a response. Sort of... Form letter number 72e:
Thank you for contacting The Military Channel. We value your comments about our network and your desire to assist us in providing quality programming.

We received your comments about Weaponology: Waffen SS and have forwarded them to our programming department for their review and consideration. We always appreciate when viewers like you, take time to share information with us, and your suggestions will be given full consideration.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us