German lowboots and leather gaiters

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Roska

German lowboots and leather gaiters

Post by Roska »

Hey!

I stumbled upon this fine photo, which I believe is one of the most famous photos of the german army during the world war 2, and noted one interesting thing.

Photo here

If you look closely, it seems that some of the men in front row are wearing lowboots with leather gaiters while some of them wear the usual leather boots. I do not know if this is something that is commonly known - atleast I haven't seen any mentions of this anywhere before and couldn't find any information in here.

You can see that the gaiters obviously have 3 buckles closing them from the back and that they mimic the look of a full lenght marching boot.

I'm just curious if any of you knew something more about them, when and why they were used etc.

As a side note, they seem to resemble these japanese officers gaiters (I believe also used by the IJN marines):

Roska

Post by Roska »

Found a pair in eBay for 25 euros, so I bought them. I am not sure if they are "real", but atleast it said WH Ledergamaschen. We'll see, I'll post pictures once they arrive.
Slobo

Re: German lowboots and leather gaiters

Post by Slobo »

Could they be left over Reichswehr gaiters?
PaulW
Supporter

Post by PaulW »

Probably a photo from transitional period where Reichswehr gaiters still being worn. Seems many of the troops are wearing the pre m36 feldbluse with dark feldgrau collars?
Paul
garlock

Post by garlock »

Hello,
I was searching for info on three buckle gaiters when I stumbled upon this thread. I am posting a photo of Luftwaffe soldaten, all of whom are wearing the three buckle gaiters. I'm not cerain of the photo date, but I think it is late 1930s or very early war.
regards, John
Attachments
tour res 600 d p.jpg
tour res 600 d p.jpg (48.57 KiB) Viewed 5209 times
GD,7

Post by GD,7 »

Garlock, they're heer soldaten,and yes I see what you mean about the boots, likely an earlywar photo.
sonofdavros

Post by sonofdavros »

Low boots with gaiters were more widely introduced to troops mid-war, to save leather. The first model Schnurrschue were made from 1937, I think. A slightly different model was introduced in 1944. Initially, troops were instructed to blacken them (they were supplied in "natural" colour), but a late-war order forbade this practice, so you will also see them unblackened.