Book on 272nd VGD

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Doug Nash
Author

Book on 272nd VGD

Post by Doug Nash »

After lengthy delays, my next book, "Victory was Beyond Their Grasp: With the 272nd Volks-Grenadier Division from the Huertgen Forest to the Heart of the Reich" has finally gone to the printers in Mercersburg. My publisher, The Aberjona Press, has informed me that it should be out in print around Christmas or by the end of the month. It is not listed on their website yet, however, so you if you are interested you ought to contact them directly at [email protected]. If you want to locate it elsewhere, the ISBNs are ISBN 10: 0-9777563-2-7 and ISBN 13: 978-0-9777563-2-2.
Thanks to all of you on this forum, Jason Pipes and Tom Houlihan especially, (as well as other online fora such as AHF and Panzer-Archiv) for the help and support you've provided over the past several years on this project. For those of you (including myself) in the "Romancer" and "Guru" community, there's probably something in there for everyone.
Cheers All,
Doug Nash
Abbott: This sure is a beautiful forest.
Costello: Too bad you can't see it for all those trees!
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Congratulation, dear Doug 8)

:up: :up:

Jan-Hendrik
Uncle Joe
Enthusiast

Post by Uncle Joe »

Please keep us updated when it has reached Aberjona´s stocks.
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

I sincerely look forward to reading this book and I'm sure that I won't be disappointed knowing the amount of research that you put into the project. I'm especially interested in this topic after having explored the former battlefield many years ago accompanied by a copy of "The Siegfried Line Campaign" by Charles B. McDonald. I remember following the route of a German attack through the forest and finding all sorts of relics from the battle laying on top of the ground such as shrapnel, metal canteens, leather belts with ammo pouches and Y straps, rusted gas mask canisters, etc.

John
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Been waiting for this one for awhile. Good job Doug.

What title falls between Romancer and Guru ?? HAHA
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Very much looking forward to this one after Hell's Gate. My copy's on pre-order. God, I hate that phrase. It's simply on order. :D
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

That's an interesting title for the book. I just completed a Google search under "Victory was Beyond Their Grasp", expecting to turn up more information about the new book. However, the first hit related to the disappointing record this season of the New York Giants football team! Later on I did find a listing under Dagwood Books in the UK claiming to have copies of the Aberjona book published last September in like new condition for 24 Pounds.

john
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

great stuff, Doug. Looking forward to another great read.
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

From one guru to another, congratulations! Like the others, I look forward to reading it.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

sniper1shot wrote:What title falls between Romancer and Guru ?? HAHA
Acolyte?

Looking forward to seeing the finished product, Doug! :beer:
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Doug Nash
Author

Tom? Acolyte?

Post by Doug Nash »

Tom,
Hey, let's face facts - since you're a former Marine, you were automatically enrolled in the ranks of the Romancers the minute you graduated from Boot Camp! - you're only one or two levels below a Guru by this point!
Cheers,
Doug
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Acolyte? Is that not the stuff isotonic drinks put back??? :D :D :D
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
KG voss
Supporter

Post by KG voss »

Mr Nash,

Sorry if it has been asked before but I'm wondering.

WHY the 272 VG Division ? and not any other inf. div.

Doug Nash
Author

Why 272nd VGD?

Post by Doug Nash »

I selected that division because I was able to acquire the complete set of records - in effect, the entire Kompanie Schreibstube - of one of it's Fusilier companies - including the personal papers of over 482 soldiers - which practically begged to be made into a book. The initial plan was to write only about this particular company, but at the urging of the late Kit Bonn, Chief Editor and owner of the Aberjona Press, I changed it to write about the 272nd VGD in particular and about the VGDs in general. I learned a lot about this division that surprised me. Instead of VGDs being the stereotypical collection of old men and young boys as portrayed in the popular historical press, they were manned and equipped with the best material that the Reich still had to offer. So I hope I've written something that will generate some reader interest in a little understood type of German unit. Plus, I also wrote about the war from Nov. 44 until the end in Apr 45 from the perspective on an individual German infantry company in the West, something that I believe has not been done before (at least not for the Heer). Cheers & Merry Christmas everyone!
KG voss
Supporter

Post by KG voss »

Thank you for your quick answer :D I think it is really great for these soldiers that there personnal papers are being made into the book. I'm really looking forward reading your book ! and yes These VGD divisions deserve something more accurate than these old stereotyp wich prove to be more wrong than true..

I'm currently finishing reading Grier's book about Hitler & Donitz and this is an absolutely outstanding book. A lot of things make sense about Hitler's strategy during the final year of the war. The author bury a lot of myths and clearly show Hitler had a strategy(and not an insane one), it shows very well donitz influence and give Shorner it's due and that he was far from being hitler's lackey...another wrong popular belief. Very highly recommended..

Merry christmas :D