Heer 1st pattern camo smock

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Slobo

Heer 1st pattern camo smock

Post by Slobo »

Does anyone know whether the splittertarn -- splinter pattern -- army smock was made in fabric other than HBT? Cotton duck for example like SS smocks?
maschinengewehr42
Supporter

Post by maschinengewehr42 »

At least one example of a splinter pattern smock in smooth cotton fabric is known to exist, illustrated in "Camouflage Uniforms of the German Wehrmacht" by Werner Palinckx.

Apparently it is cut exactly as the tan water pattern/ marsh pattern smocks, with hood, and without the reinforced edge at the bottom. It came out of Poland in the 1990s. The cloth is smooth and not HBT or Zeltbahn fabric. It's not reversible; the print bleeds through on the inside.

This is a very rare piece though. I've never heard of any others in this material. HBT was by far the norm.
Slobo

Post by Slobo »

maschinengewehr42 wrote:At least one example of a splinter pattern smock in smooth cotton fabric is known to exist, illustrated in "Camouflage Uniforms of the German Wehrmacht" by Werner Palinckx.

Apparently it is cut exactly as the tan water pattern/ marsh pattern smocks, with hood, and without the reinforced edge at the bottom. It came out of Poland in the 1990s. The cloth is smooth and not HBT or Zeltbahn fabric. It's not reversible; the print bleeds through on the inside.

This is a very rare piece though. I've never heard of any others in this material. HBT was by far the norm.
Thanks MG42. Intersting and wonder if it was something of a prototype for the 2nd pattern or brief transitional pattern.

When you say the second pattern tan & water smock is "without the reinforced bottom", what do you mean? Every one I've seen is hemmed up at the bottom (e.g., Wehrmacht Camouflage Uniforms by Peterson).
maschinengewehr42
Supporter

Post by maschinengewehr42 »

I could have phrased it better. I meant that, unusually, this particular example didn't have the hem at the bottom, as with other smocks of either pattern.