Saving private ryan.

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Jones

Saving private ryan.

Post by Jones »

Hey lads:)

I am playing a game called Call Of Duty. Dunno if you heard about it but me and some guys from my clan are making movies about some of the battles from saving private ryan. Next we are gonna do the Merderet River. You know the last battle in Saving Private ryan... NOW my question is: Does anyone know if that battle around the bridges even really took place and what forces what involved??? Only infantry forces was it Airborne soldiers or was it infantry unit or what?:)

And on the other side who was the attacking forces? Panzergrenadiers, normal infantry what what what:P

hope that you can gimme some answers.

Greetz Milf!
sovietsniper
Supporter

Post by sovietsniper »

call of dutys great. ps2 or pc?
i got ps2
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

The battle is fictional

\Christoph
Casarez
Donor

Post by Casarez »

Christoph Awender wrote:The battle is fictional
Completely. In fact everything past the Omaha beach scene is fantasy. Which is a shame too since there are so many good true stories that could have been told. Why make one up?
Rich
Associate

Post by Rich »

Casarez wrote:Why make one up?
Because Hollywood has never met a truth that it couldn't fictionalize? :D Or perhaps that's simply a truism for all film makers. :D
Jones

Post by Jones »

if you want to see one of the other movies we made then: http://dday.zero-effect.com

Its about the landings at omaha beach. Hehe.. dunno if you guys like it but the gamingscene wants us to do more:)

Its worth checking out if you are a gamer.

A shame that its fictional... However it wont tie our hands that much then:)
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

Landindg on omaha beach was bloody.

Battle in French town for bridge is a fiction
Jones

Post by Jones »

I am now looking for some special sounds.
1. Some germans yelling commands.
2. The sound of a Tiger tank driving.
3. Maybe a 30 cal firering.
4. Americans yelling commands.
5. Mortar Explosions.

I know this may be a bit hard finding but i hope that some of you guys can help me on some sounds you maybe found on the internet or something:) thx in advance.

Jones...
Krönen

Post by Krönen »

http://dodec.hlgaming.com/main.html

Am I the only one that knows what a search engine is?
dduff442
Supporter

Post by dduff442 »

Not only was the Bridge battle fictional, it was also very, very stupid. (I won't even go into the headlong charge against the fortified MG42 position at the radar station. Any ranger Cpt that ordered such an attack would be sent to an insane asylum.)

Hanks and the Rangers first hook up fortuitously with the Paras (Matt Damon etc.) during an ambush of a German HT. The HT is destroyed and the occupants killed. 'We've been expecting a probe,' says Damon. So far so good, although its unclear how the Bazooka team manoeuvered into a firing position or why the Germans decided to approach the town through shoulder-high vegetation without dismounting.

The Germans proceed to enter the town in road column... Now what was the point of that probe? It gets anihilated but the German company commander drives into the town without advance or flank guards. This is unbelievable stupidity and totally unrealistic.

Most likely the assault force represents the advance guard of a PGR battlegroup. After the annihilation of that probe, a German commander's most likely reaction would be to deploy a platoon in a skirmish line and to march his forces in a few hundred metres behind. Force the enemy to engage the skirmishers, gain intel to enable a good, covered attack axis to be picked and then attack with the remaining platoons while blasting away with the Tigers without ever bringing them within 300 metres of the town until a decent foothold had been gained. All standard stuff and an approach that would have had the Germans over that bridge in short order regardless of the defensive measures taken by the Americans.

Given the actual approach used by the defenders in the film, these (bog-standard) tactics would have seen the skirmishers go to ground with minimal casualties as soon as Hanks' booby traps had been sprung. Subsequently the assault forces could be expected to work craftily through the back yards. Only once the enemy was seriously engaged would the Tigers would be brought up. Resistance from that point could not be expected to last more than minutes regardless of the defenders' skill and tenacity.

Regardsio,
dduff
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

And finally Tigers don't used MG's. Maybe they haven't ammo, or were broken?
Krönen

Post by Krönen »

They were probably too cheap to use blanks or CGI.
Jones

Post by Jones »

Hehehe thats one of the funniest thing during the movie:)

All along the americans can run forward and backwards right in front of the tank without the german Tiger EVER uses its front MG..
Owen Moose

Post by Owen Moose »

Correct me if I'm wrong but there were NO Tigers in the American sector. The heavy stuff was in the Brit/Cdn zone.
Also why are we all talking about a bloody movie?????
This is supposed to be about the REAL men who fought in the ACTUAL war.
Not about movies or computer games.
Kitsune
Contributor

Post by Kitsune »

The attackers were a bunch of completely incompetent fools. If that were typical German soldiers it would explain why Germany lost. But it would not explain why it took 6 years to achieve that.

Not that the Americans defended brillantly. For example the Sniper positioning. Well according to what I learned in Bundeswehr, there are some basic rules when it comes to placing snipers...and Tom Hanks ignored the most important two of them.
Rule 1 says: "Do not place Sniper (or yourself if you are one) in too obvious a hideout. Stay away from landmarks, or positions that are "too good" because the first thing an enemy will do is to ask himself 'Now, if i would be a sniper, where would I be?' And once your position becomes known you, the sniper, are in grave danger. Quite literally." The absolute cliche of such an obvious landmark is...a church-tower. And while any rule may be broken under certain circumstances, this was not one of those. An astute enemy would have suspected a sniper here, possibly someone might even have set one tank gun round into the top of the tower to ring in the battle, just to be sure.
Rule 2 says "If you position a sniper, makes sure that he has a retreat way safe from the enemy. If he has not, he will be trapped once found out." Yeah, especially when the enemy attacks with vastly superior forces, tanks and what-not. He would likely overran the town and the church. And your sniper had let off his last bible quotation once that has happened.

If you enter a town, you do not do it in rank and file, to be massacred out of the windows from both sides. Especially so if the enemy has informed you of his presents by sending some guys ahead on a bike to be seen. And German handgrenades had a fuse of only 3 seconds...why do we always see American soldiers picking them up and throwing them back in american movies? German armored vehicles and that includes Tigers, were not blind to that extent the movie seems to assume, they could spot you and take you out with MGs even if your not standing right before them.

But perhaps I am erring. What do I know anyway? How could I presume to know it better than Mr. Spielberg? Perhaps we learn an important lesson here: All you need to wipe out a regiment of evil Germans is a couple of American GI's who have thoroughly read the handbook (and I am certain that, in contrast to the German one, the US army handbook is full of wisdom) and a pair of socks.
"Tell my mother I died for my country. I did what I thought was best."

John Wilkes Booth
April 12, 1865