Was it possible to avoid joining the Hitler Youth?

German auxiliary organizations 1919-1945.
Scott Swindle

Was it possible to avoid joining the Hitler Youth?

Post by Scott Swindle »

Was it possible to avoid joining the Hitlerjugend, and did people do so? I have read that the majority of the younger soldiers in the Wehrmacht served in the HJ, and I was wondering how one would have avoided service in this organization. Was it simply a matter of choice, or would you be looked upon as an outcast and a non-comformist for not joining?
joscha
WWII Vet

HJ or not HJ, that is your question, huh?

Post by joscha »

In the larger cities, the pressure to join was considerable. In the agricultural communities, this pressure was just about absent, because every young person was needed to work - be it in the fields or the animals, whatever. Linz was Hitler's home town and there was pressure to join.

Also, bear in mind that in the cities it paid off to collect the youngsters, because there were enough to make reasonably large groups. In the villages there just weren't enough kids who could be spared from their duties at school, work and at home..

What I have said so far, goes for the years 1938 through 1940, when I was drafted. During that time, I was in the HJ and thoroughly enjoyed it, because in the Motor HJ, we learned a lot about motors, engines, diesels as well as gas, how to tune up, how to drive motorcycles, etc. So, I had fun. There also was a Flieger HJ, and these kids actually were able to fly -gliders, certainly fun for them. There was also a Marine HJ in my town and these guys learned a lot of water craft.

From about 1943 on, these things changed; all boys did some kind of war related support work. In Linz, a large telephone switchboard was "manned" by older boys and girls, supporting the flak personnel. Toward the end of the war, the 17-year olds were all drafted; cannon fodder.... In a park near my home, there was a quad-40mm position, commanded by an NCO of the flak unit, and the older boys manned the guns.

Hope this gives you a very abbreviate and much too general picture. Joscha
Scott Swindle

Post by Scott Swindle »

Thanks, Joscha, I can always count on you to get to the heart of the matter and give me a reply that is right-on-target. Exactly the information I wanted ~Scott
joscha
WWII Vet

HJ

Post by joscha »

Glad to be of help. There is enough BS out there, and I think persons truly interested in history should get info from many sources, because every participant looked at it in his own way. Diversity brings truth.

My best. Joscha
Michi
Contributor

Re: HJ or not HJ, that is your question, huh?

Post by Michi »

joscha wrote:From about 1943 on, these things changed; all boys did some kind of war related support work. In Linz, a large telephone switchboard was "manned" by older boys and girls, supporting the flak personnel. Toward the end of the war, the 17-year olds were all drafted; cannon fodder.... In a park near my home, there was a quad-40mm position, commanded by an NCO of the flak unit, and the older boys manned the guns.

Hope this gives you a very abbreviate and much too general picture. Joscha

Hello Joscha!

My physics-teacher in school (some 15 years ago) was as a Luftwaffenoberhelfer a crew-member of a so-called "Ringtrichter-Richtungshörer" at the Pöstlingberg or Pfenningberg in Linz.

MfG Michi
(GreetinX from Linz)
D Gilfeather

Post by D Gilfeather »

Yes it was possible to avoid joining the Hitlerjugend. You could look at street gangs such as the Eidelwiess Pirates from Cologne who would go out to the countryside and look for groups of HJ to attack. Within the cities these gangs began to cause problems for the authorities who did not want to come down too hard on youths who would be needed in the services. However in 1944 members of the Pirates were rounded up with the 'ringleaders' publicly hanged.
Liam
Enthusiast

HJ avoidance ploy

Post by Liam »

Tell them you're a gay, communist, Slavic, Jewish gypsy!
Hitler...there was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in ONE afternoon! TWO coats!! Mel Brooks, The Producers
Locke
Supporter

Re: HJ avoidance ploy

Post by Locke »

Liam wrote:Tell them you're a gay, communist, Slavic, Jewish gypsy!
In Slovenia (at least in Gorenjska region), also Slavs were forced to join HJ. My granpa was called to HJ meetings, but his mother got him a document by the doctor - that he cannot join because of his poor health.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Scott,

According to "The Hitler Youth" by H. W. Koch membership of the Hitler Youth became compulsory for every boy and girl from 10 to 18 on 1 December 1936.

However, he says numbers of children still avoided membership, usually due to family misgivings about the organisation, and only came forward out of patriotism once the war started.

Furthermore, once it became obligatory, numerous members had no enthusiasm for the organisation and the sort of incidents D. Gilfeather mentions occurred. The street gangs that sometimes beat up Hitler Youths were usually members of the organisation themselves!

Finally, Joscha has not yet given any evidence of his bona fides as a veteran, despite repeated requests by Feldgrau members over the last year, at least one of whom was willing to meet him. Until he does so, it would be advisable to take his personal memoirs with a strong pinch of salt.

Cheers,

Sid.