Downfall (Der Untergang) - anyone seen it?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Jason Pipes
Patron

Downfall (Der Untergang) - anyone seen it?

Post by Jason Pipes »

I saw the film Downfall (Der Untergang) last night which is an EXCELLENT movie about the last 10 days of WWII in Berlin with a focus on Hitler and the members of his staff in the Fuehrerbunker. It's based on Joachim Fest's book "Der Untergang" ("The Downfall: Inside Hitler's Bunker, The Last Days of the Third Reich") and Traudl Junge's book "Until the Final Hour: Hitler's Last Secretary". Junge was Hitler's private secretary.

I was amazed by the attention to detail, the total lack of mellowdrama, the historical accuracy, the AMAZING acting of all the characters (I felt like I was really watching Hitler for 2+ hours), and the sheer horror of what Berlin might have been like in those last days. Everything is depicted rather well, from the plight of Hitlerjugend Flak helpers taking out tanks and being awarded Iron Crosses, to Volkstrurm units fighting and dying, to the bravery and heroic actions of the embittered remains of the Wehrmacht to the roaming bands of SS and Police death squads hanging and shooting any suspected shirkers, to the entire range of characters in the Bunker itself, including Hitler (admittedly the main focus of the film but not overtly), Speer, Goebbels and his wife and kids, and so on.

I HIGHLY recommend this film to anyone who has not seen or heard it.
Brian67
Banned

Post by Brian67 »

Thank you for your comment.
I haven't seen the film so far, but since some days you can get it as DVD in Germany and on my next trip I will by one.
http://www.panzergrenadierregiment63.de.vu
http://www.3ss.totenkopf.de.vu

Die Dummheit des Menschen und das Universum sind unendlich; wobei ich mir beim Universum nicht ganz sicher bin! (Albert Einstein)
Piet Duits
Associate

Post by Piet Duits »

Jason,

Do you know what's even more astonishing? It was filmed in St. Petersburg. Leningrad. Of all places.
The making-off is incredible too, it was on the dutch tv a couple of weeks/months ago.
I don't know if the movie is translated in english, but if you can understand it, I would recommend the original german version.
Bruno Ganz do not play the roll of Hitler. He becomes Hitler.
Nur für den Dienstgebrauch
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

I trust Herr Ganz managed to revert to his old self once filming was finished!

have only seen the preview, which looked very impressive - I think it's out in the UK in a couple of weeks, will definitely see at first opportunity.

I was surprised to see Bruno Ganz (in character) was the coverboy for a german glossy DVD monthly magazine in German newsagents a couple of weeks back. they'd airbrushed the swastika off his cap, but otherwise, there he was, in uniform, in the German equivalent of WH Smiths, an extensive article within, where political insignia remain uncensored. Shame I don't know enough german to read the article, but it seems to say something about the nation dealing with its past in any case.
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
tommydog1

IMPRESSING

Post by tommydog1 »

This is a wery well made film and i liked it better than stalingrad.
Same people behind both films ? Best to see whit German sound and eng. sub.
silence is more dangerus then the truth
Grunt
Contributor

Post by Grunt »

Little story besides: when the movie came to cinema, there was a photography of Bruno Ganz as Hitler on the cover of the "Spiegel", a weekly news magazine. When I took the magazine from the mailbox, I saw the picture but (I swear) I did NOT notice that it was an actor! I just thought it were one of the few color photographs of Hitler. It took nearly half an hour when I noticed my error.
Pedites pugnas decernent
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

I saw it last week and completely agree with Jason. One more point - in many cases the actor looked like the character. Often, I did not need to wait for the actor to be addressed before knowing who he was.

I'm fluent in German, so paid attention mainly to the spoken words, but I watched the subtitles from time to time and it seems they did a pretty good job (for once).
Walter Wulfsen
Banned

Post by Walter Wulfsen »

Hello all, I plan to see this film as soon as it is available in New York. I saw the trailer; it seemed excellent. There are many color photos available of Der Fuhrer online. Here are just a few, of the many,
I managed to find recently. I also threw in one b&w photo. 8) Cheers, Walter

Grunt
Contributor

Post by Grunt »

ROFL! :D

Did you read the writing on the b/w photo? "After the Führer signed her an autograph, she was lucky to be photographed together with him"

Sounds like "popstar" :wink:
Pedites pugnas decernent
Sajer

Post by Sajer »

Out of interest, where did you get this film? I've only managed to find it on amazon.de, but there is no mention of subtitles. There is a 2-disc version, but I've no idea what the difference is, because I don't understand German! Translations welcome. :D
Ernest Penfold
Supporter

Post by Ernest Penfold »

The film with English subtitles is currently playing in theatres in the US, which is probably where Jason saw it.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Yep, I saw it at a local theater here in the San Francisco Bay Area. It was indeed in German with english subtitles, which is in my opinion the only way to see a proper foreign film!! I hate dubbing... The film is not playing in many locations though so I wouldn't be suprised if it was hard to find in other areas of the US.
schwerepunkt

Post by schwerepunkt »

Hey,

Just received the premium edition DVD from Amazon.de last night. (I live in Australia so it'll probably be next year some time till it's released here!)
I can confirm that this version DOES have english subtitles. Haven't watched it yet, so don't know how good they are. Also got a heap of extras, including a few docos and a Making of program (All of which i'm hoping are subtitled). Looks pretty good
"You are educated when you have the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or self-confidence."
Robert Frost
Beppo Schmidt
Associate

Post by Beppo Schmidt »

Does anyone know if the premium edition DVD is playable in the US?
Ernest Penfold
Supporter

Potential Movie Spoiler Warning

Post by Ernest Penfold »

--- Potential Movie Spoiler - If you want to see the movie and haven't yet, don't read this ----

One question about Frau Junge - I read Cornelius Ryan's book on Berlin many years ago and I recall that she was captured by the Russians and interrogated about Hitler. However, in the movie she escapes Berlin unscathed on a bicycle with a young boy.

Which version is historically correct?