German Guilt and responsibility. A different view

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi CEE,

I agree with Shmeiker. In order to compete militarily with relatively efficient capitalism, the USSR had to devote a far higher proportion of its GDP to military expenditure. In effect, it was running a war or semi-war economy for the USSR's entire existence, which is an enormous burden to bear. When Reagan upped US defence expenditure in the 1980s, it was the straw that finally broke the Soviet camel's back. The Cold War was no draw. It was a comprehensive victory in the end for the capitalist west.

Cheers,

Sid.
Midgard

Post by Midgard »

hi

i think that stalin was planing an invasion of western europe long bevore hitler started barbarossa,if you take a look at the sovjet war material in the 1930's you have to agree.tanks like the BT 5/7 were developd to drive on builded roads (autobahnen??) and not on the sand ways which were typical for russia.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Midgard,

I think it entirely possible that Stalin had offensive designs.

However, I think that the road wheels of the BT series have nothing to with any specific intention to drive down German autobahnen, which were begun after the BT series had already started development in the USSR.

The BT series was based on an American prototype built by Christie in the early 1930s. This already featured road wheels several years before the first autobahns were built.

Cheers,

Sid.
greenhorn
Contributor

Post by greenhorn »

Don't be fooled Sid, they were cunning those Soviets.......
Banzai!
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Greenhorn,

But not, apparently, as cunning as the Yanks, who not only foresaw the autobahns and built a road-running tank prototype before they had even been begun, but then sold the design to the Russians so they could develop the T-34 and thereby bear the main burden of beating the Germans!

Conspiracy theories - don't we just love 'em!

Cjheers,

Sid.
greenhorn
Contributor

Post by greenhorn »

Bloody hell that Christie was smart!

How did he let the Russians pinch his design, to build road running tanks ideally suitable for a German autobahn system, that would be built by a regime not in power.....

Were Sorge or the Cambridge boys involved (MI6)?
Banzai!