English Food Is The Best In the World

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

greenhorn
Contributor

Post by greenhorn »

I think you guys have missed the point.....

Why do think the British Isles haven't been successfully invaded since 1066. It's a cunning plan........

Yorkshire pudding is best served at home..... It should be served by itself and be ROUGHLY 8" OR 205mm in metric artillery terms.... in diameter, with gravy poured into the middle of it... mmmmmmm. Some would rather serve it as a sweet with a sprinkling of sugar..... You could say it's our equivalent of a multifunctional waffle or crepe..... both equally delicious, but probably not best served with roast beef and all the trimmings.
Banzai!
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

Some other countries lay claim to having the best cuisine, but Britain can lay a just claim to having the best puddings in the world.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
gavmeister13
Contributor

Post by gavmeister13 »

Cheshire Yeomanry wrote:Britain can lay a just claim to having the best puddings in the world.
how so?
Geniesset den Krieg, der Frieden wird furchtbar sein
Paulus

Post by Paulus »

Don't come to Ireland, not for food anyway. Unless of course you like food thats been boiled so much you can suck it thru a straw :wink:
Ciaran Byrne
Supporter

Post by Ciaran Byrne »

YOu are all heritics. British food is the greatest on God's earth. Roast dinner is simply the best food on the planet. Pies and Cornish pasties are mannah from heaven. Spotted Dick, Bread and Butter pudding or Carrot cake (all served with Birds custard) is the food of kings.
It really pisses me off when the French go on about how great their food is. I recently tried snails or escargots at they call them They taste like garlicy snots. Horrible.

By the way, I was in Plymouth at the weekend watching West Ham United and had a pasty that must have weighed about two stone. It was gorgeous filled with meat and potatos and only cost me £1.50.

8)
"I must point out that my rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite is the smoking of cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after, and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them". - Winston Churchill
Qvist
Banned

Post by Qvist »

English food - love it. Particular favorites are the world's heaviest breakfast and shepherd's pie. Mind you, the French, the Italians, the Spanish and the Greeks have something to back up their claims as well.

cheers
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

My recipe for success.

Take all that each nation has to offer in the best of it's food.
and......................... Never eat on an empty stomach!
ramon
Supporter

Post by ramon »

I have to agree with Lacplesis,

Some of the best food I have had in England has been Pub fare.

The ploughman's lunch at the John Barleycorn pub located in Duxford adjacent to the Imperial War Museum located at the former Duxford RAF Station.

The pickeled onion and white cheddar cheese together with a pint (or 2 or more!) was delightful.
gavmeister13
Contributor

Post by gavmeister13 »

By the way, I was in Plymouth at the weekend watching West Ham United and had a pasty that must have weighed about two stone. It was gorgeous filled with meat and potatos and only cost me £1.50.
good stuff, none of that Ginster rubbish! for the best pasties ever though you want to go into Cornwall rather than Devon. fantastic!
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Ciaran Byrne wrote:By the way, I was in Plymouth at the weekend watching West Ham United and had a pasty that must have weighed about two stone. It was gorgeous filled with meat and potatos and only cost me £1.50.
The down side is that they call everyone "me luvver". (the people, not the pasties that is. :D)
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Ciaran Byrne
Supporter

Post by Ciaran Byrne »

halder wrote:
Ciaran Byrne wrote:By the way, I was in Plymouth at the weekend watching West Ham United and had a pasty that must have weighed about two stone. It was gorgeous filled with meat and potatos and only cost me £1.50.
The down side is that they call everyone "me luvver". (the people, not the pasties that is. :D)
That wasn't what they were calling us West Ham fans I can assure you! :D
"I must point out that my rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite is the smoking of cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after, and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them". - Winston Churchill
gavmeister13
Contributor

Post by gavmeister13 »

me luver, me ansome [handsome] me deear - theres a whole list of them, mainly used by dinnerladies. i havent met a dinnerlady wether in school or college or doesnt use at least one when serving food.
dazedandconfused
Supporter

Post by dazedandconfused »

Chicken Tikka Massala (sp?). Apparently it's the new national dish! Lovely. I have to admit though, roast dinners are ace, but why are your Grans always better than your Mums??
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)

Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy.
Anne Frank (1929 - 1945)