P-Fausts in Allied Use

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

101stDoc
Associate

P-Fausts in Allied Use

Post by 101stDoc »

Anyone out there have any documented (or even clues to) use of P-Fausts by US, BritComm or other Allied forces? I know I've read about this in a few places, but I forget where...it's been awhile.

Doc
Tony
Supporter

Post by Tony »

I think a regiment of the 101st had some PFs they captured in Holland and they used them in the Battle of the Bulge.
cheers
Tony
"When you dance with death, you wait until the song ends."
- Josef Stalin
JeffF.
Contributor

82nd Abn

Post by JeffF. »

82nd Abn Div captured a supply of panzerfausts in Sicily which lasted until Market Garden. These were supplemented by smaller subsequent captures.
Dima

Post by Dima »

Hey JeffF,

so they used PFausts on DDAY?!
Thought they captured PFasusts in Normandy...

dima
JeffF.
Contributor

82nd & panzerfaust

Post by JeffF. »

The note I have is that the 82nd used them in Market Garden from a supply captured in Sicily. I'd surmise that means they used them in D-Day but don't have anything that says they directly did so. It should be noted that many U.S. units used panzerfaust recovered from the battlefield (the ones in Sicily were from a captured depot so there was a substantial number).
Jeff
George Harper

82nd Airborne Panzerfausts

Post by George Harper »

As I recall, the 82nd captured a large number of Panzerfausts in Normandy (several truck-loads?) and, after conducting comparitive trials against the Bazooka and Panzerschrecke, went on to use them in Market Garden. I believe Gen Gavin relates this story in his book.

The Heer did not receive the first delivery of Panzerfausts until August 1943. Too late for the Sicily campaign.

Cheers,

George.
George S. Harper.
Sydney, AUSTRALIA.
Dima

Post by Dima »

yeah, George, this what i've read earlier..
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Gen James Gavin (82 A/B) in his memoirs (On To Berlin) writes of arming and training his men with panzerfaust in France '44.

He has quite a lot to say about the failure of the US to produce a similar weapon (that worked).

cheers
Reb
Grzesio

Post by Grzesio »

A huge amount of Panzerfausts was captured by the 1st Polish Army in western Pomerania during fightings at the Pommernstellung in February-March 1945. As initial use of the launcher proved to be very effective, it was legalized by Army's command and widely used till the end of the war. According to memoires of gen. Poplawski, commander of the 1st Army, soldiers carried even 2 or 3 Panzerfausts "in their backpacks" (sic).
The Red Army made use of Panzerfausts too - there's even an official Soviet user's manual for the Pzf 100 printed in Russian in 1945.

Regards

Grzesiu