looking for grave or marker

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

steven gallagher

looking for grave or marker

Post by steven gallagher »

I am looking for the resting place of my grandfarther .he was captured after the fall of breslau. He died on his way to siberia, apparently someone witnesed his body being thrown on a pile of others. He served with the volkssturm,and was a vet of the first world war,where he was in a cavilary regiment, he was the burgamister of his village but i dont know its name. his surname was Motika thats all i know.is there a memorial to these men , does anyone know.
all information would be greatly recieved.
Steve
Simon H
Associate

Motikat?

Post by Simon H »

There were two Motikats on the Volksbund database, one was buried in Lommel, Belgium so that's not your man. However this one is commemorated at the Leer Friedhof
Surname: Motikat
First Name: Willibald
Service Rank: Soldat
Birthdate: 02.11.1927
Birthplace: Walsum
Death/Missing date: 19.04.1945

Willibald Motikat Leer-Friedhof Heisfelder- Ecke Annestr. (Bundesrepublik Deutschland) .
Endgrablage: definiert 2li

I hope this helps!
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Bruno
Supporter

vet

Post by Bruno »

How could Willibald be a WW1 vet if he was born 1927?
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

How could Willibald be a WW1 vet if he was born 1927?
Quite right, sorry, in my eagerness I didn't spot that bit!! Whoops. :oops: Also I noticed that the database doesn't allow Motika and corrects it to Motikat. Either which way there were only the two names. So it seems there is no record of this guy, unless the Volksbund have got the dates wrong?

It may be that Walsum could throw up a link?
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
steven gallagher

thanks for the reply men

My grandfathers name was Bruno Motika he lived in Kloda, He was either a lancer or some mounted unit in the first world war,He only just made the minimum height to join. he always kept his sword above his bed. my mother went to see him before he went to the front with the volksstorm,at Lissa, she said she could hear the guns in the distance.She said she saw the old men in airforce uniforms army uniforms any thing they could find.Some gave her messages to give to thier loved ones she said it was the first time and the last she saw him cry.A younger soldier who survived captivity said that as they transported the prisoners in cattle wagons they did not give them food nor water and would occasionaly stop and dump of the dead and dying, the witness said it was in a woodland that they stopped and my grandfather was still alive when they dropped him off.but he could not walk. and that was the last of him.
I have read of the fighting in Breslau from Achtung Panzer I am sure that one day History will show these men slowed down the onward march of the red army.She also has horrifing womans tales of the russan army and the retribution of the poles beating to death young boys, and children bieng denied medical treatment because they were german. Steve
RF

RE: Tracing your grandfather

Post by RF »

Dear Steven,

Even though your grandfather may not be listed on the VDK website, they may hold the information in their files. I would strongly suggest that you write them directly with all pertinent information at:

Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgraberfursorge e.V.
Bundesgeschaftsstelle
Werner-Hillpert-Strasse 2
34112 Kassel
Germany

Their email is < [email protected] >

Do not expect an immediate reply, nor should you become discouraged if you run into roadblocks. It took me over 10 years to find my grandfathers grave (also drafted into the Volkssturm towards the end of the war). See:

http://www.feldgrau.com/halbesearch.html

For more info. Best of luck & don't lose hope,

R Fogt
steven gallagher

Looking for Grave or Marker

Dear R Fogt
Thankyou for the link and address and your encouragement you are very kind I shall keep looking
Kind Regards
Steve
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Hello Steven:

You will find that there are many kind people that post here that would be more than happy to help you find information on your Grandfather.
We all wish you success but don't forget to ask for help when you may need it. Roland is one of the nicest and kindest forum member whom always tries to be helpful.

We help each other as much as we can.....it is an interesting journey your on.

Kind regards
Annelie

ps. Roland thankyou for being kind in the past to others along the way as with Chris and others.