micro armor wargame

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Smiget

micro armor wargame

Post by Smiget »

Dear wargamer

have anyone here ever played or seen a game called Micro armor, the tank game? i personally play it. it is amazing how accurate the armor models are for being in 1/285. the game itself is some what accurate and leaves lots of room for personal change. Here is the website http://www.ghqmodels.com/M/index.htm

Smiget
As long as there are historians there will be arguments.
Warlock

Post by Warlock »

Thanks for the link.

Being the "chook" that I am, I still have masses of micro armour from when I played micro armour back in the 70's. All German of course.
Probably about five hundred German trucks, tanks, and other vehicles.

(Also still have my 1:285th scale Napoleonic British Army)

Many of them are still painted, but some need a repaint. However all my scenery has gone.

I stopped playing because of time and space constraints, and the lack of new opponents. So they are all carefully packed away in the cupboard.
I figure I'll get around to repainting them all one day (probably when I'm old and grey lol)

Still, nothing looks as impressive as the sight of a 1:285th divisional level game (with well made scenery).

The rules we used were different though. (think I still have them around somewhere).
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

Try SPEARHEAD instead. It's far superior to anything else out there.
Wurger
Contributor

Post by Wurger »

GHQ's microarmor line has been around for ages. The microarmor rules are alright - I've played a number of games over the years - although I would argue that they are not the best you'll find out there.

I'm currently building up a force of miniatures for Battlefront's "Flames of War" game. The rules are similar to that of Warhammer, which have the advantage of being easy enough for novice gamers to learn on the fly, and the miniatures are very, very well done.

See http://www.flamesofwar.com

Wurger - Resident Leftist Thug
Prit
Contributor

Post by Prit »

I no longer wargame, mainly because of time constraints.

Back in the 70s, I had a heap of small-scale stuff, modern and WW2. One of the problems I always faced, though, was exploitation of the rules. For example, the rules we used said that a Chieftain tank had a 1 in 3 kill probability with its first shot at 5km. Tactics became simple - put the Chieftains where they can see the enemy miles away, and let them get on with it. No need to take cover, because no Soviet tank had a gun that could fire further than 3,500m. Given that it took them about five turns to get within range after the Chieftains started firing, the NATO commander was off to a flying start.

No amount of manipulating terrain, ensuring that people followed 'proper' tactics, etc, quite dealt with this problem. In Napoleonic wargames, one of the guys I used to fight had a battery of howitzers in a horse artillery outfit. There was apparently one episode in the Peninsular War when the Brits did this, and he used it as justification for having this lethal force that, with suitable cavalry support, was almost unstoppable.

How do you folks keep people 'honest'?

Prit
Wurger
Contributor

Post by Wurger »

Hello Prit,

I've encountered the same problems with people who try to exploit wargame rules to their own advantage. However, over the years I have employed a number of tactics to eliminate this problem.

1) I'm very picky as to whom I play against.
2) I only play scenarios, in which the forces deployed are balanced.
3) I've developed house rules in conjunction with my opponents to close gaps in game rules to prevent exploitation.

Like you, I and the people I play against have limited free time, so we've taken a few steps to ensure that our wargaming experiences are as enjoyable as possible when we get the opportunity to play.

Regards,

Wurger - Resident Leftist Thug
Smiget

Post by Smiget »

HE, HE, HE

At this point i love being a student, i have lots of free time.
so do lots of my friends.

smiget

Write more tomorrow half to change NOW classes bye!
Last edited by Smiget on Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smiget

Post by Smiget »

all right im back

as i was saying, i have lot of free time, mainly during the summer. only problem is that money is a big concerne for me, haveing no job. that is a nother reason that micro armor was so atracting to me it is dirt cheap compared to some wargames.

also prit just to let you know they have now rules that limit your line of sight (they give you the percent of teranin on a board-open 40%) so hopefully you may only once in a while come across a situation that you discribed.