requirements to be a moderator?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Tony
Supporter

requirements to be a moderator?

Post by Tony »

Jason, what are the requirements to be a moderator?
"When you dance with death, you wait until the song ends."
- Josef Stalin
101stDoc
Associate

Post by 101stDoc »

A strong stomach and low blood pressure? ;)

Doc
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

The ability to judge what might be offensive to the hundreds of folks who read this forum daily?
An ability to see into the mind of a poster, to figure out if he's asking legitimate questions, or just trying to piss people off?
The wisdom, sagacity, and even-handedness of Solomon?
Nothing to it!!!
:D
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
behblc
Associate

Qualities.

Post by behblc »

Patience of a Saint most definately.
" Life , to be sure is nothing much to loose ; But young men think it is , and we were young . "
A.E. Housman.

" The old lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori. " Wilfred Owen (M.C.).
KampfgruppeMeyer
Banned

Post by KampfgruppeMeyer »

I ask that you elect me as the next moderator :D
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue...
behblc
Associate

Austin Powers.

Post by behblc »

"Oh Behave" :wink:
" Life , to be sure is nothing much to loose ; But young men think it is , and we were young . "
A.E. Housman.

" The old lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori. " Wilfred Owen (M.C.).
KampfgruppeMeyer
Banned

Post by KampfgruppeMeyer »

Are you not entertained?
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue...
Robert Rojas
Supporter

RE: Requirements To Be A Moderator.

Post by Robert Rojas »

Greetings to Chairman Pipes, his august lieutenants and the community as a whole. Well sir, in reference to brother Tony's original inquiry of Friday - August 15, 2003 - 1:28pm, old Uncle Bob is also curious about the technical requirements necessary to ascend to the position of moderator within the Feldgrau organization. In otherwords, is the candidate selection process based on specific criteria OR is the candidate selection process based on something of a more arbitrary nature? Just curious. Thank you in advance for your patient indulgence in respect to this administrative matter. Well, that's my initial two cents worth on this topic of interest - for now anyway. As always, I would like to bid you a copacetic day down by Baghdad-By-The-Bay.
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

Robert, besides your very complex, and also very "what_so_ever_postings", at all, this is just SPAM, you dont add anything to this Forum...

What is your final intention!

Michael
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Michael, you are not a moderator, so please don't try to act as one.

While I will admit that one often has to re-read Uncle Bob's postings, I personally enjoy the challenge of reading them. Spam? Far from it. In this particular case, he merely asked what it takes to be named to the exalted ranks of moderator, that's all.

Again, if you have issues with someone's posts, we do not allow vigilantism here. Contact a moderator for assistance.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
John W. Howard

Qualifications

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Robert:
According to Jason, he picked his current moderators for their devastating handsomeness, virility, and superior intelligence!!!! If you believe that, Robert, I have some swampland for sale...... Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

You are right, Tom.

I am not used to Roberts special style of writing... :oops:

Sorry, Robert!

Michael
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

According to Jason, he picked his current moderators for their devastating handsomeness, virility, and superior intelligence!!!!
That's exactly what Jason told me. He also said that, in my case, since I was so handsome, intelligent and, above all, virile (3 sons and 4 grandkids) he would "overlook" my leftist leanings, for the moment....... :wink: :D :D

Best,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

and another requirement I think, is that members who want to be moderators on such a big and serious forum need to have a lot of knowledge about the WWII German military subjects, done many years of research, etc.
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

I think that one of the chief requirements for being a sucessfull moderator is the ability to treat others--especially those you might personally disagree with--fairly.

From experience, I know that this is a simple priniciple to write, but very difficult to implement. Everyone is human and, at some point, either misjudges a situation or misinterprets a post or allows other factors to interfere with even-handed moderation.

So, the second thing I think is important in being a successfull moderator is the desire on the moderator's part to receive by PM suggestions and concerns about Threads or Posts from individual members. For anyone to suceed as a moderator, they need the support and help of the membership in identifying problems and to give feedback on that moderator's actions.

A moderator should always welcome private advice or complaints.

Best,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....