After Operation Barbarossa

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Jacky
Supporter

After Operation Barbarossa

Post by Jacky »

Am I correct in thinking that when the Germans invaded Poland they added a piece of land to East Prussia to make Wehrkreis ?. After invading Russia am I also correct in thinking they added Memel to the wehrkreis as well, as it was formerly German land. Does anyone know where I can find a map showing the places in the wehrkreis.

Thank you

Jacky
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Jacky,

Wehrkreis I initially consisted of pre-war East Prussia.

In March 1939 Memel was added from Lithuania.

After the Polish Campaign Wehrkreis I was extended south nearly as far as Warsaw.

After the invasion of the USSR the Bialystok region was also added to Wehrkreis I.

The US Army produced a booklet in 1944 on the German Ersatzheer in which there was a separate map for each Wehrkreis.

Cheers,

Sid.
Legionario

Post by Legionario »

Hi,

Those lands belonged before to the old Prussia?

Regards
Legionario

Post by Legionario »

Hi,

Those lands belonged before to the old Prussia? I think so.

Regards
Jacky
Supporter

Post by Jacky »

Hi Sid and Legionario

Thank you for your comments. Sid, can you tell me how I can get a copy of the ersatzheer. Do you know which military address will have the maps? I have performed many searches under wehrkreis I and nothing showed up for them.

Thank you

Jacky
Jacky
Supporter

Post by Jacky »

Sis

I have e-mailed Carlisle Barracks in America and am hoping they will supply me the information.

Thank you for your help

Jacky
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Legionario,

If bu "old Prussia" you mean pre-1914 Prussia, then the answer is that Memel had been part of Germany until 1918, as had the northern part of the area annexed from Poland in 1939.

However, the southern part of the area annexed from Poland in 1939 and the Bialystok region had never previously been part of East Prussia before their annexation. Neither of these areas had significant German populations.

Cheers,

Sid.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Jacky,

I have seen a copy of this 1944 booklet on the shelves in the reading room of the Imperial War Museum in London.

It contains a detailed US intelligence assessment of each wehrkreis, detailing the believed position of each Ersatzheer unit and containing a basic map of each wehrkreis.

If it does not contain "Ersatzheer" in the title, then it will say either "Reserve Army" or "Replacement Army."

Good Luck,

Sid.
Jacky
Supporter

Post by Jacky »

Sid

Thank you. I have sent them an e-mail asking for a copy. (It's cheaper than going to London.)

Jacky