Contact with and information about 148 Infantry Division

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

charlie don't surf
Associate

Contact with and information about 148 Infantry Division

Post by charlie don't surf »

WE, the Brazilian Infantry Division the privilege of capturing the 148 Infantry Division of the German Army near Fornovo, just near Parma in Italy. I would like some news about that division and to get in touch with any member of that unit. I was an Infantry Lieutenant at that time.

Bomfim.

e-mail:[email protected]
I'm posting this for Luiz Paulino Bomfirm, veteran of the Brazilian Expeditionary force under US 10th Mountain Division in Italy. Luiz was assigned to the G2 of the division.

regards
C.G.
Supporter

Post by C.G. »

I once, 8-9 years ago, had a contact with a former Officer of 148. ID and he told me that 148. never built up a veteran's organization due to fact that its members came from Silesia and were scattered all over Germany. Maybe the Silesian organisation can help. I can help with a contact with a former member of Hochgebirgsjäger-Btl. 4 which was captured in Fornovo with 148. RD. I think I can share this information privately.
Best
C.G.
charlie don't surf
Associate

Post by charlie don't surf »

That's great news, would you care to email Luiz Bomfirm about this?

regards
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Another problem for 148th Division in building up a veterans organisation would be that it was an Ersatzz or Reserve Division engaged in training and replacement activities until (I think) mid 1944. As a result it had a complete turnover of its manpower, except for its small training cadre, every four months or so. It is almost impossible to build up enduring esprit de corps in these circumstances. Its men from those years would have bonded with their combat divisions, which would also have been from Silesia.