My great uncle

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

van der voort

My great uncle

Post by van der voort »

I received this picture recently and have little knowledge of German military uniforms. As far as I know he was a police man ? Could someone please help identify more about him by his uniform ? Thanks in advance
great uncle.jpg
great uncle.jpg (26.96 KiB) Viewed 7861 times
van der voort

Re: My great uncle

Post by van der voort »

Dear members have I asked a stupid or obvious question ? I am a complete idiot and cannot contact any family members to find more info and know nothing but his name. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sincerely
F van der voort
van der voort

Post by van der voort »

Here is his father (my great grand father)shot by a dumb dumb bullet which ended his service. He had to fill oil lamps for miners to make due
greatgrandfather.jpg
greatgrandfather.jpg (41.84 KiB) Viewed 7833 times
Mike Higgins
Supporter

Post by Mike Higgins »

van der voort wrote:Dear members have I asked a stupid or obvious question ?
Not a stupid question at all, someone will come along who can be of more help with the uniform, altough it's not a police uniform. As for your Uncles medals he is wearing the SA Sports Badge (Bottom) DRL Sports Badge (middle) and what appears to be a Wehrmacht Long Service Medal (top)
Franz Repper
Supporter

Post by Franz Repper »

I can not tell you what regiment but I can say he was a NCO this noted by the thick silver trese going round the top of his collar and on shoulder boards . He looks to of been serving in a infantry regiment the white piping on the bottom of collar and front of his tunic show this, each arm of service had a different colour .On his right shoulder you can see the marksmanship lanyard (Schützen Abzeichen des deutschen Heers ) this looks to be the lower grade but i cannot see if ti is the early pattern or late pattern
Denn jedem Kämpfer gibt ein Gott den Kameraden bei
van der voort

Post by van der voort »

Thanks for your info, I know his name, how would I access his service record or where he served if possible. Thanks again.

Post by 415 »

The place in Germany where you get service records from is the DD WASt. (http://www.dd-wast.de/) However they do not always supply records to people who are not direct descendants. I have received records on Great Great Uncles as well but none of them had kids, they were kia or just never had kids. Unless you can attain a letter written from a direct descendant saying that they give you permission. If he was kia, then you can contact the Volksbund (http://www.volksbund.de/) they can supply information. Also you can try contacting the German Red Cross, sometimes they have information as well. Hope this helps.

Chris