SS-Ustuf. Adolf Peichl

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Kocjo
Enthusiast

SS-Ustuf. Adolf Peichl

Post by Kocjo »

I'm looking for any data of this W-SS soldier.
He was born on 8.12.1917 (Wien) and died in Wien on 4.6.1969. He was a Zugführer in 12.(gep.)/SS-PzGrenRgt 4 "Der Führer", when he got his RK (16.10.'44). He was decorated for 11 destroyed tanks (Panzervernichtungsabzeihen). He was also holder of DK (don't know which grade or date, probably gold) and »Nahkampfspange im Gold« (don't know the date).

Has anybody have his picture with all of his Panzervernichtungsabzeihen?

Regards,
Kocjo
Slovenija gre naprej!
Enrico Mölders
Supporter

Post by Enrico Mölders »

Hello,

I have some fotos about Peichel. One were he grant a Ehrentafel to a guy of 2. SS Panzer Regiment 'Das Reich' for the destruction of the 2000th tank for the division.

This unofficial Ehrentafel he hold until then for destroying the 1000th tank for the division.

I try to make a copy out of the book.

bye Enrico
' ... zu bedauern die Nation die Helden benötigt ! ' Berthold Brecht
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Here's something on Peichl (mainly from an old post (2000) by Frank DeLaglio and from Krätschmer)

SS-Ustuf. Adolf Peichl is probably the most decorated German soldier in the WWII (rjb44 look over here).
His awards:
Knight's Cross,
Close Combat Clasp in Gold,
German Cross in Gold,
Wound Badge in Gold,
1x Tank destruction Badge in Gold,
6x Tank destruction Badge in Silver,
Infantry Assault Badge in Bronze.

That's 4 awards in Gold.

He was awarded the Wound Badge in Bronze, EK I and II, as well as the Assault Badge within a period of 4 months in late 1941. He was wounded three times in Feb. 43, first in his left arm. Despite this wound he stayed with his platoon. A few days later he was heavily wounded again, this time from Pak shrapnel in his right hand and face. Again he refused to leave his command and would only allow his person brought to the rear-areas after the battle. He was awarded the Wound Badge in Silver a few days later.
His first stripe (Tank destruction Badge in Silver), well actually his first 2, were awarded on 6. September 1943. His first gold was the German Cross, awarded on 16. September 1943. Interestingly enough, no mention is made of his tank-busting exploits. 4 days later he destroyed another tank in close combat, bringing his total to 3.

In 1943 he destroyed another 2 (courtesy of François Saez, Wehrmacht Awards Forum) and according to Krätschmer he destroyed the division's 1000th tank kill.

He was awarded the Close Combat Clasp in Bronze, Silver and Gold on the same day, 22. October 1943. When the documentation for the award was submitted on 21. October 1943 he had 59 days credited. From Oct. 43 until the conclusion of the battles on the Invasionfront he was credited with an additional 34 days! One can confidently assume (I don't like to assume but he was already credited with 93) by the wars end he had accumulated far in excess of 100 days of close combat.
On 5 November he destroyed another 3 tanks in close combat, which brought his total to 6. Documentary evidence is conflicting on this point, and some give his total as just 5 on this date. In any event, whether 5 or 6 this still qualified him for the tank destruction badge in gold.
In a recommendation approved by Swords winner Otto Weidinger, he was awarded the Knight's Cross on 16. October 1944, and in this very same battle destroyed his 7th tank in close combat.

Receiving the KC (coutesy of Paal Walland).

Despite never attending a Junkerschule, he was commissioned and promoted for his exceptional bravery to SS-Ustuf. on 9. November 1944.
Peichl finished the war with the Wound Badge in gold, and destroyed another 5 tanks in close combat (all in the same day).
He died in 1969 at the young age of 51.
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

I guess this is the photo you wanted to post Enrico (or rather the part of it). On the full picture you can see Peichl giving the Ehrentafel to Oberscharführer Hans Soretz.
Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

Thanks,
Marko and Enrico Mölders.

Cheers,
Kocjo
Slovenija gre naprej!
Enrico Mölders
Supporter

Post by Enrico Mölders »

Hi Marko,

thats exactly the fotos I saw in Weidingers book about 4. SS PzGren Regiment 'Der Führer' as well as in 'Bildband der Waffen SS'

I wish a nice weekend to all

bye Enrico
' ... zu bedauern die Nation die Helden benötigt ! ' Berthold Brecht
balaton

Post by balaton »

hi guys,

any idea what happened to him after the surrender, as well as duration and location of POW stay and post war career ?

-Gary