Gebirgsjäger Rucksack: How to pack it?

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

gebirgsjaeger100

Gebirgsjäger Rucksack: How to pack it?

Post by gebirgsjaeger100 »

Liebe Kameraden unter'm Edelweiss
could someone tell me how to pack the GJ rucksack? What did they put in the big upper flap? And in the back compartement?
Any help will be of great value!
Albert
Hurra die Gams!
Hurra die Gams!
3.GJR 100
gebirgsjaeger100

I got a photo of one of the sacks they used to distribute things inside. The one has a green triangle to one side. More info?
Hurra die Gams!
3.GJR 100
gebirgsjaeger100

This weekend did I buy in a fair one of the bags with colour triangle to identify what was inside. The colour is blue.
Hurra die Gams!
3.GJR 100
Landserstudent
Supporter

Re: Gebirgsjäger Rucksack: How to pack it?

Post by Landserstudent »

See James Lucas books "Alpine Elite" and also "Hitler's Mtn. Troops".

Also, Bill Costley's "Gebirgsjaeger" profile, featuring all original equipment,
might be of help, but very hard to find
SOTD

Re: Gebirgsjäger Rucksack: How to pack it?

Post by SOTD »

Albert,
After 28 years in SF, and 30 reenacting (sometimes doing Gebirgs impressions), and humping a lot of rucksacks in the Uhwarrie, Appalachian and Rocky Mtns, I might put my two cents in. The books mentioned thus far are all great references, but you may also find individual memoirs, such as "Black Edelweiss"....maybe there is a Reibert Manual for Gebirgsjaeger?? Generally, however, in training, troops are told how to pack the rucksack, and then where unit/mission specific items( mortar rounds, an MG ammo can strapped on, ropes...) are to be placed ...a standard operating procedure..SOP. In this way, everyone in the unit knows where to find things in or on your ruck, if you are evacuated, or worse. Period photos of layouts of what soldiers carried would be good, such as can be found for US Airborne Troops.
Normally, in a rucksack with out a frame to keep some space between the pack and you, your clothing/blanket is folded and placed against the back, to protect from hard edges of other things in the pack. Camp shoes, cook stove, canned goods, toiletries should be stowed in stuff sacks, the types with color tags,mentioned earlier, to keep things secure inside. Spare socks, shirts, other clothing articles can go in the front interior pockets. Immediately accessible items, such as food items and extra ammo can go in the exterior pockets, along with gloves, pitons, carabiners, or crampons. The flap pocket...a ground sheet, windjacket, or pullover can go in there and what does not fit can be folded and tucked under the flap before it is secured. Again, finding a specific Gebirgsjaeger SOP for individual equipment would be quite a find, but until then, we follow individual tastes, and what we know works.
If you are doing this for a display, that is cool, for there are so many personal items being reproduced...much more than when I started reenacting in 1979!...however, if it is on a manniquin...make it a NERF ruck!
I hope that this gives you a little insight, and direction in what you are doing,
Michael

I am reproducing some linen stuff sacks, Gebirgs reversible pullovers and a rucksack for my own use, and will post photos when done.