Help with photo.

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

PzGrenRgt2

Help with photo.

Post by PzGrenRgt2 »

Hello All,

The photos attached is a friend's grandfather. He served in the German Army and fought in Belgium/France. Can anyone help give more details then that from the photo? Any help is appreciated. Are the vehicle in the photos AMD 35 Panhard 178?

I know it is limited info on the photos.

Best regards,
Arthur
The fox knows many tricks;
the hedgehog one good one.
- Archilochus
Prosper Vandenbroucke
Enthusiast

Re: Help with photo.

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke »

Hello Arthur,
I am not at home and I have no acces to my documents, but I think that the photo was token in the vicinity of the belgian town De Panne (La Panne in french). This town is located on the belgian coast at +/- 15 km north of Dunkirk.
And I also think that you are right with the idenification of the vehicles.
They are indeed french AMD Panhard 178
I will check it to morrow in the evening.
Kindly regards from Belgium and apoliges for my poor english
Prosper
Prosper Vandenbroucke
Enthusiast

Hello Arthur.
I'm just coming home and I found the photo here below in the book "Mai 1940" written by Peter Taghon.
The picture shows abandonned French AMD Panhard 178 along the Nieuwpoortlaan ( Nieuwpoort avenue) outside of the Belgian Town of De Panne and coming from the direction of Kokzijde (Coxyde in french)
I think that it confirms my first impression. Those vehicles where abandonned during the last days of may 1940 or beginning june 1940 during operation "Dynamo"

Kindly regards and once again, apoliges for my poor english (it's my schoolenglish and far away)
Prosper :wink:
john123

Post by john123 »

Good work.

Can you tell us what color underwear he has on?
Prosper Vandenbroucke
Enthusiast

Hello john123,
Maybe it's a good work but I hope that you are joking when you'r asking which color of underwear this german soldier as on?
I think, PzGrenRgt2, post his question only to receive information about the soldier and the place who was token the photo.
Nothing else
Regards
Prosper :shock:
PzGrenRgt2

Post by PzGrenRgt2 »

Prosper,

Excellent! Thank you very much! It seems to even be the same road! Most valuable information, I will get it on to my friend. Much appreciated. I looked up the vehicle and it appears that there were only 125 of those vehicles made. Thanks again Prosper.

Best regards,
Arthur
- Archilochus
kitoko

Post by kitoko »

Hello!

Nice job to all !!

I confirm (I live in La Panne - De Panne during summertime) . The picture was taken at the entrance of La Panne on the Route Royale coming from Coxyde - Koksijde)
I have some more pics of this Cuirassiers' detachment Panhard Armored Cars taken at the same place.
I am very intersted to have some information from you.
I tell you the story : In end of May 40 my whole family was trapped in the pocket of Dunkirk. They took refuge in the family cottage in La Panne. They miraculously survived bombing !

When the German army entered the town (on Saturday 1st of June, if I am correct), my parents were ordered to leave and went back to Ghent. (probably on the 4th?)

The cottage suffered light damage. We know for sure that the cottage was requisitionned by the German military and used as an officers' mess??

I am desperatly looking for pics taken by German soldiers of the occupied cottage ( Villa Hurle-Vent, avenue du Mont Blanc - Witteberglaan)

Can you help?

Many thanks !

Regards
Prosper Vandenbroucke
Enthusiast

Hello Kitoko
I don't have pictures token by german soldiers, but here is a postcard (1932) of the Witteberglaan in De Panne.
I found it here:
http://cartes-postales.delcampe.be/page ... Panne.html
Have a look at page 2 and you will see it. There are 87 pages. I don't know if there are other views of the Witteberglaan.
Hope it helps.
Kindly regards
Prosper. :wink:
P.S. Sorry for my poor english. :oops: I write better in french or dutch language.
kitoko

Post by kitoko »

Bonjour Prosper ! Goeie dag Prosper!

We zijn al in kontakt met elkaar ! We zijn buren van Jacqueline ! Ik probeer info te krijgen door Duitse soldaten ! (zie mijn andere posten) Moi aussi je suis plus à l'aise en français !!! Maar ik doe mijn best in NL en ... Engels!
Dank U wel voor de info (betreft postkaarten - Delcampes)

Kitoko - Thierry
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Thierry - is that a period colour shot or has it been "colorised"?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
PzGrenRgt2

Post by PzGrenRgt2 »

Hello All,

Does anyone have a list of German units that were operating in this area at the end of May beginning of June 1940? It may help us pin down what unit my friends' grandfather was in at that time.

Arthur
(PzGrenRgt2)
- Archilochus
kitoko

Post by kitoko »

Hello all!
Sorry for such a long delay in answering your questions!

These were authentic color pictures ! ...from the Wehrmacht Propaganda Kompany ! ...not colorised!
Thank you for your postcards ... I have some of the Witteberglaan (not this one!) ... or Avenue du Mont Blanc as it was called in 1940!
German units names which took part of the final assault would help ...of course... but I am still convinced that the Belgian seaside was used (all war long!) as a "recovery" place for all German soldiers from East front or Afrika Korps!
For sure they took a lot of pictures of these "holiday resort" ! ... pics are still sleeping in a drawer ... somewhere in Germany!

Many thanks for your help!
Kitoko