Looking for:

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

sniper1shot

Looking for:

Post by sniper1shot »

Since the last time I posted this I was wondering if there were any NEW biographies on German soldiers (all elements) that have hit the market and are worth getting?

Looking for a Title, Authour, and really brief description.

After that, I can look for it and then fight with my wife on why I really need to get it hahaha :roll:

On an added note, I am still in the hunt for Moscow Tram Stop...(priced within my meger $$'s)
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Re: Looking for:

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Not read it, but it's highly regarded:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/War-Diaries-Pan ... Y3IOL0U5JM

Aside from Haape's work which needs reprinting (and possibly re-translating/annotating as it's more than 50 years since the original was done) there's Peter Bamm's excellent Invisible Flag which is long overdue a re-issue.

There's a whole rash of first-hand accounts which have appeared in German over the past decade of varying quality (most, it has to be said, are very average). The best I've seen is Zwischen Nichts und Niemandsland by Hans Jürgen Hartmann (the reviews on amazon.de average 4.5/5) but I can't see it being translated in toto as it's 600 pages and it's a really tricky translate.

There's also a highly-regarded memoir of Kursk, Die Hölle von Kursk - not seen a copy myself.
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Thanks for the list and links.
Wiking5th
Contributor

Post by Wiking5th »

Sniper, just had a great stroke of luck. I found Moscow Tram Stop on a book search engine. I purchased the hardcover for $60 (was from German dealer, but English edition). That included shipping also. Just got it today and have already started it. After all these years of checking and searching, it finally paid off. :D
Wiking5th
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Richard had sent me a link to a shop in German but they only took bank transfers and never answered my emails. Damn- I lost out on that one.
Good job on finding that for such a good price too. I'll buy it off of you when you're done hahahaha :[]
Wiking5th
Contributor

Post by Wiking5th »

Sniper, sent yopu a PM on this.