fallschirmjäger during Brest campaign

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
doucet

fallschirmjäger during Brest campaign

Post by doucet »

Good morning

first of all, as a new member , I want to introduce myself. I am from France, former retired of the French Navy and fond of history , especially all the period between D_Day and end of september 44.
I am writing this mail Brittany, from a town located at 6 km form Brest. I try to tell the story of this town, PLOUZANE freedom dated between the 25th of August till the 13th of september. During this battle, from one side the US were the 29’s Niners ( 29US Infantry division) and on the other the opponents were soldiers of the III bat/ 2FJR.
In one document, called “L”enfer de Brest”, german organisation defendig sector of PLOUZANE is describded like this:
*III battalion : Major Tannert then Hauptmann Kirsten (a/c 11/08/44)
- 12. Kompanie Oberleutnant Tolkien. In charge of the defense of one hill, called hill103, famous for the hard fights that occured. He was helped by sailors from one U-flottilla and young soldiers ( 16/17 years old) coming from a brigade called “Standarte Feldernhalle” ( no link with the panzer unit),plus 75 mm guns of leutnant Sattler.
- 13. Kompanie ( granatwerferkompanie) Hauptmann Loef – location unknown
- 14. Kompanie (panzerjäger) Hauptmann Berndt –
- 15.Kompanie (Pi.companie) Oberleutnant Backhaus –
- one platoon of 16. Kompanie ( Aufklärung) Oberleutnant Schäfer

*FJ Panzerjäger Abteilung Hauptmann Kemnitz
Three Kompanies defending a line in the north east of PLOUZANE.

I saw on other book, that the FJ battalion organization in mid-1944 was the same like as the organization of a standard german infantry battalion
My first question is : which organisation is correct?

Secondly, I know that 2FJR after meeting 6th Armored division troops in Center Brittany ( Carhaix, Huelgoat) withdrew to Brest. FJR 2 arrived at Brest on the 8th of August, by the souteastside of the town and the received orders to defend North West sector of the Fortress ( line from Bohars- Guilers-Plouzané – the seashore), II Bat on the east part, III Bat on the west part.
As US offensive began the 25th of august; does someone know what they exactly did during these 14 days.
For my books, I am fond of all informations about III bat / 2FJR that somebody (ies) can give to me ( documents, links, testimonies)

Thanks for all and best regards
JMD
John W. Howard

Re: fallschirmjäger during Brest campaign

Post by John W. Howard »

Thought I would kick this up to the top again; can anyone help our French friend??
John W. Howard