Command Style?

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Tom Houlihan
Patron

Command Style?

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I have been working with an ETHINT document, and I found an odd translation. It refers to a command style that is translated as "Slack Reins."

Does anyone know what this might have been in the original German, and if there's a better way to translate it?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
fridgeman
Supporter

Re: Command Style?

Post by fridgeman »

Would be good to know the whole sentence or context.

In general i'd say it describes a more easygoing command style.
A problem is that you dont have the german source anymore, as far as i can see all translators translate
both german phrases "Die Zügel schleifenlassen" and "Die Zügel lockerlassen" as "slacken reins".
As a reference to horseriding, the first one means you are on the way to completely loosen the reins of the horse
(control of your company, division), and the second means you just have the reins/control not as tight in hands as you could have.

A commander who didnt give much about the appearance of his soldiers anymore, a shaved beard or washed clothes for example,
would have been described as someone who "lässt die Zügel schleifen".
On the other side a commander who maybe gave a short break after a battle when it was not according to the orders,
or bend the rules a bit when the soldiers drank or had a festivity, would be described as "lässt die Zügel locker"

Hope this helps u out!
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Re: Command Style?

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Danke!

I don't have access to the original documents, but what you wrote did make sense. I just have figure out how to rework the sentence. I figured it was something along those lines, but without having the knowledge of idiom, or the original, it was hard to call.

That should help!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!