Reburied with proper ceremonial

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Reburied with proper ceremonial

Post by Richard Schoutissen »

German soldiers who where killed during the Second World War in the Netherlands were reburied with proper honors.

On May 26, 2010 the remains of seventeen German soldiers were reburied at the German military cemetery in Ysselsteyn (the Netherlands) after a short ceremony. This is the first time this has happened in 65 Years.

I had been involved with the identification of one of the soldiers and I also was able to trace his daughter.

Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Re: Reburied with proper ceremonial

Here is a link to the television reportage from the reburial and also where I'm getting interviewed. (It's in German and Dutch language)
sebastian
Contributor

Post by sebastian »

a beautiful thing
knappe en goede reportage

Sebastian
united we stand,divided we fall
Franz Repper
Supporter

Post by Franz Repper »

PA. Dutchman thanks for that interesting foot note to the main topic , I do like it when soldiers reburied with proper honors Richard could you tell us more like were they were found and such
Denn jedem Kämpfer gibt ein Gott den Kameraden bei
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Franz Repper wrote:PA. Dutchman thanks for that interesting foot note to the main topic , I do like it when soldiers reburied with proper honors Richard could you tell us more like were they were found and such
The seventeen german soldiers where exhumed all around the Netherlands within the last two years but reburied later because of the change in "the new burial procedure". Before this procedure German soldiers would be buried without any kind of ceremony or the presence of relatives or guests.

From now exhumed German soldiers will be buried with honors and in the presence of relatives, guests, officials and military , but of course without any military tribute.

In the Netherlands there are about 3000 German Soldiers still to be found in there (field) graves etc.
Franz Repper
Supporter

Post by Franz Repper »

Thanks for the info , Do you work with those that do this great work
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Franz Repper wrote:Thanks for the info , Do you work with those that do this great work
Yes I do, but not the actual recovery. Only the "Bergings- en Identificatie Dienst Koninklijke Landmacht" Recovery and Identification Service of the Royal Netherlands Army is permitted to Recoveries here in the Netherlands. Sometimes I'm support them with the Identification though.

Moreover I work with a great group of people who are dedicated to making a database/Memorial for Victims of the World Wars. At this time we have about 584.650 victims and 14.554 cemeteries listed. (see German site in my signature).

Thereby I'm trying to identify some of the unknown soldiers buried on the German Military Cemetery in Ysselsteyn (the Netherlands).
haen2
WWII Vet

Post by haen2 »

"Netjes gedaan"!!! ( neatly done) My (german) C.O. taught us many moons ago that a deadly wounded or dead enemy is no longer an enemy.
As a "sanitäter" i always tried to keep that in mind.
"Militair Saluut" for jobs well done.
H.N.
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
Franz Repper
Supporter

Post by Franz Repper »

Hean my Uncle says the same that a dead soldier has done his duty in Full and deserves the honour and respect
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Was this done in collaboration with the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge?

Its nice to hear that they are buried with proper ceremonial, I am sure their families are
pleased for this!
Annelie

Annelie wrote:Was this done in collaboration with the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge?
Yes of course, sorry I forget to mention them!
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Thanks for the reply.

Nothing to be sorry about, was just trying to make sure I understood the whole ceremonial
and who was involved.

The Youtube segment was in Dutch and German so I didn't really quite understand everything
said. :D
Annelie