Heinz George Thomas in Luftwaffe WW2

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
drhomanjr

Heinz George Thomas in Luftwaffe WW2

Post by drhomanjr »

Greetings fellow researchers: I am new to this site, so forgive me if I bore you with details.

I am looking for information on my stepfather, Heinz George Thomas, born on 24 April 1923 at Reichertshofen, Ingolstadt, Bavaria. He is the son of Kaspar Thomas and Anna Schluessel.

Heinz served in the Luftwaffe during WW2. He may have been a transport pilot who flew missions from Sicily to Tobruk during the war.

Heinz may also have served in the Whermacht near the end of the war. He told me he was captured very near the end of the war.

His dog tag number is 1892, issued by the 2nd Company, Air Force Training Regiment 71, date unknown.

On 6 June 1941 he was assigned to the 2nd Company, Air Force Training Regiment 71.

On 21 November 1942 he was assigned to Savoy Squadron at Lecee, [sic] France.

On 9 March 1944 he was assigned to Air Force Pilot Training School A112 at Nellingen Germany.

His date of capture and location is unknown, but may have been in Belgium. His military rank was Staff Sergeant.

Heinz had sisters, Victoria Zettl and Elizabeth Butz.

Heinz had a niece named Evi Kroeger.

Heinz had a nephew named Christian Kroeger.

All of the people mentioned above were alive in 2002. Heinz George Thomas died at Racine, Racine County, Wisconsin, USA, on 18 January 2002.

Heinz first wife was Anna Lowenski-Thomas.

Heinz had a daughter named Patricia Thomas and a stepson named Tad Steven Thomas.

Heinz had a son William George Thomas, who died in Wisconsin as a child.

Heinz 2nd wife was Joyce Elaine Homan-Thomas. They had a daughter Susan Elizabeth Thomas.

Heinz designed the first automatic interchangeable tool post, while employed at Master Appliance in Racine Wisconsin USA. This tool was featured in an article in Popular Mechanics in 1966.

Heinz designed the now famous Master Appliance Heat Gun.

Heinz is said to have won the Bavarian Decathlon, year unknown.

After the war Heinz is said to have played tennis as a warm up partner for professional tennis players.

After the war he also attended the Polyteknik [sic] Institute in Germany.

Heinz came to the USA in or around 1955, when he was granted US citizenship. His social security number is 390-36-6640.

Heinz was a passionate golfer.

Heinz George Thomas died on 18 January 2002 at the age of 78, in Racine, Racine County, Wisconsin USA.

His obituary was published in the Racine Journal Times Sunday edition, 20 January 2002.

My questions are:

I am looking for any information on him and his units assigned to during WW2.

I am looking for any of his comrades from the war.

I am interested in locating information regarding the Bavarian Decathlon.

I am looking for classmates from the Polyteknik [sic] school.

I am looking for a photograph of his rank insignia.

I am wondering if he was awarded any decorations or medals during WW2.

I am looking for information on the following German units in WW2:

• Air Force Basic Training Regiment 71
• Savoy Squadron at Lecee France
• Air Force Pilot Training School A112 at Nellingen Germany.

Any information or leads on information are very much appreciated. I am writing a short biography about him, for the archives of the Wisconsin Veterans museum.

My contact info is: [email protected]
Thanks to all.
R/Dave